Callum - Books and mothers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Seeseaisme, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I am lmao about your mother's comment. Different strokes for different folks, they say. Sounds like something my mother would think, but not say.

I love books. I love reading. As a child we worked on a farm and most of our time was spent working, little time for play and only a few toys as compared to my 6 yr old granddaughter's collection. My Mom couldn't or wouldn't drive a car back then and we would have fainted if she would have taken us the the local library.

So, now I make up for all the play time and reading I didn't get to do when I was a child.

How old is your mother? Mine just turned 80 November 3rd of this year. I've been having a rough time with old issues with my mom, since my Dad's death, last year. Therapy again! uuug But I went to my therapist yesterday and she says I'm working through it and growing and getting so much better. I am at an acceptance stage with most of my issues.

My mom played saint and devil's advocate during my childhood and adolescent years. She would say, wait til your father comes in. Those were words of fear, let me tell you.

Changing the subject to books now. I don't why I enjoy horror, suspense and mystery so much but I do. I read my first Stephen King book at age 30 and from there on I was hooked. I also enjoy Dean Koontz and Peter Straub.

But......I also read a lot of spiritual/christian books and C S Lewis. Now I'm reading a few classics like The Scarlet Letter and Uncle Tom's Cabin and throwing in children's literature.

Well, I'm writing this as I am waiting for cupcakes to cool, so I can get all artistic with the frosting and decoration. I have stencils of a candy cane and snowflake that I'm going to do in red and green sprinkles on vanilla frosting. They are for my granddaughter's brownie troop.
    The Brownies are having their Christmas party tonight.

That's what's up with me, since you asked. Probably more than you want to know (lol). Write back and tell me a little about you, like what you like to read, movies, your acting career. Sees
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

Yum! Your granddaughter's Brownie troup is very lucky!

I read your profile more in depth - boy, you've certainly had more than your fair share of health issues to deal with, haven't you? All the more impressive that you keep such a positive attitude.

I love reading almost everything (except the Harlequinn Romances). I especially love the classics, non-fiction, and novels that either make me think, laugh or cry. You mentioned C.S. Lewis - I love all the Chronicles of Narnia and "Shadowlands". I also like books that deal with the spiritual, but more in the vein of Paolo Coelho.

My acting career is mainly about balancing everything so I don't get bad with the CFS again. I was unable to act for eight years because of the DD, and was only able to return to it a couple years ago through the support of my doctor, who understands, and my loving and supportive partner, who doesn't complain when I have to cut back on the hours I work when I'm in production.

As far as movies, my partner and I see about 20% of everything that comes out at the movie theater. DVD's are great, but there is something magical about the communal, shared experience of a darkened theater. (And POPCORN!)

Thanks for sharing with me, and thanks for asking in return. I hope your cupcakes turn out perfect, and that you have a great weekend!