Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Callum

Saw your post on the movie thread. You ever see or hear the TV musical based on Christmas Carol? There is an LP record of it. Made in the 50s.

Had a great cast: The 4 lads, Vic Damone, Patrice Munsel, Johnny Desmond, Robert Weede, etc. The song, "Yes, there is a Santa Clause" comes from that show. Think it was called "The Stingiest Man in Town."

Anyway, whatcha been up to. "Lion" still running? What's your significant better up to?

Just read a massive (and way to weighty book) on Broadway/Hollywood musicals by Darcie Denkert. Super book but is uncomfortable to read; weighs about 6-7 ponds.
  2. Callum

Callum New Member

I have not heard of that one - will have to look and see if netflix has it. The only musical Scrooge I know is the one with Albert Finney (from the 70's?), and, of course, "The Muppet Christmas Carol."

"Lion" closed last Sunday. Thanks for asking. It will be nice to have a weekend all alone with Gary; It's been awhile! I start rehearsal for "Blithe Spirit" right after Thanksgiving, so we have to fit in the "date" time when we can.

You would have loved my friend Lowell, Rock. He and his wife taught at Penn State for years. Even after he retired, he taught classes on classical Hollywood musicals. And what a collection he had! Unfortunately, he died of Leukemia two years ago at the way-too-young age of 72.

Gary's doing well, thanks for asking, although he is a little stressed out at work. Being a much more gentle soul than I am, he does well with not bringing it home, but I feel for him.

How is Gordon? Has he let you live down being locked out yet?

I just finished "Germs, Guns and Steel." It won the Pulitzer Prize last year, but I found it rather sophomorically written at times. Like reading a college term paper. Thesis sentence, three supporting thoughts, three supporting paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph restating the three supporting thoughts. Yawn...

Now I'm reading "Mr. Mee" by Andrew Crumey. A much more enjoyable read thus far.

Take care!

3. Callum

Callum New Member

for Rock...
  4. rockgor

If you go to this site, you can hear Sir Noel singing something from High Spirits and see him et. al. cavorting around his old farmhouse Goldenhurst.

What was the male lead's name: Gary Condine? Is that your part? I think the dead wife was Elvira. Somewhere tucked away in storage I have a record of an old radio show of B.S. I think Jane Wyman was in it.

One of my show biz besotted roommates in school was a great admirerer of Noel, etc. He did woodcuts of Noel, Gertie, Marlena, Lotta Lenya, etc. I still have them tucked away in boxes somewhere. Used to have them on my office wall.

So that's how you organize a term paper. Wish I'da known that a few decades ago.

Here's how you organize a bar exam answer:
    Issue; Law; Discussion of the faces; Conclusion.

A very simple plan. But most years less than 50% of takers pass.

Looked for Mr. Mee at the LA library. They have it. I couldn't tell if it was a novel or 3 separate stories. Two reviews were printed. One pretty good; one lau-zay!

Are you going to get sufficient rest between plays? You don't want to be all played out.

5. Callum

Callum New Member

Charles Condomine. I'm actually playing the other male role, Doctor Bradman. It's small, but the theatre company is good, and I think highly of the cast and director, so it should be fun!

You talk about faces on the bar exam? I hope you were kind...

I'm liking "Mr. Mee" - it's three stories that alternate.

6. rockgor

Remember when Lucy and Ricky went to Scotland? "Ya got ah mah-tee pretty face."

Anyway bar examinees need to keep faces in mind. Expecially Benjamin Franklin's. Attach two or three of his bills to the answer and the score goes up accordingly.

Actually I meant facts, but no matter how much I try to proofread...

Good thing I don't care much anymore. It's hard to be a perfectionist when you can no longer do it.

Well, it's too bad you're not playing Gary Condomine, but remember the words of Yoda: There are no small parts, only Billy Barty.

Gordon brought home 11 books from the library today including an enormous book on the Riccardos and a couple by P. G. Wodehouse and two more of Brendan O'Carroll trillogy which begins w/ "The Mammy".

The trillogy is a best seller in Ireland and highly recommended. By whom? By me. Haha
  7. Callum

Callum New Member

I really thought "faces" might be a legal term! Latin, you know, for something like process.

If you hadn't told me, I would have still thought you never made mistakes!