CALM Act effective tomorrow

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Dec 12, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

"TV viewing could soon sound a little calmer. The CALM Act, which limits the volume of TV commercials, goes into effect on Thursday.

CALM stands for Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation. The act is designed to prevent TV commercials from blaring at louder volumes than the program content they accompany. The rules govern broadcasters as well as cable and satellite operators."

SEE LINK BELOW FOR MORE INFO AND ARE ADOPTED BY THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

Let me for one yell my great thanks as I have so waited for this and at times feel asleep on the sofa and been shocked awake by some screaming commercial. Now the cats will have to be responsible for waking me on the sofa.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121212/ENT03/121212080/CALM-Act-goes-into-effect-Thursday
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some channels are worse than others.

Since I've been sick, Tweety has been curling up in bed with me. She watches TV a bit. It scares her when loud commercials come on. It doesn't do me any good either :)

If only govt. could do more of this kind of good work for citizens, we probably wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

Love, Mikie
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The FCC is not going to watch them. They will require us citizens to report it. So how does it work for us to prove the commercials are too loud to the FCC? This will be interesting to see how the FCC approaches complaints and what they do to handle them.

Will they try to view an offending commercial on TV (and good luck trying to figure when that commerical will again come on)?

Maybe they will then employ a medium to tell them when the offending commerical will next run?

Will they use a sound meter to judge if an offending commerical is too loud and what constitutes too loud for them to take action?

Stay tuned for the continued adventures of The CALM Act.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Three steps back. The FL Supreme Court ruled that anyone in his car can play his music at any volume and no one can ticket him for it, even if the "music" is vulgar and he's driving through a neighborhood with all his windows rolled down. What!!!

Used to be that cops could, and would, write tickets if the noise could be heard 25 feet from the car. Court said this violates the First Amendment. I thought one person's rights ended where they affecte another's. What about disturbing the peace? This stinks!

Love, Mikie
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I agree with you on both counts. Glad at least the commercials will not be as loud. We will see !

That disturbing the peace is ridculous. The way it is now anyone can almost do what ever they want, just cause they feel like it, and not get into any trouble.

Thanks for posting 2cats and everyone.

Love,
    Granni

6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Actually you couldn't hear the music, it was the bass and it was loud "thump, thump, thump, thump." It's terrible that it was ruled they can do that as loud as they want. They used to go through neighborhoods down there doing that during the day and they were doing in at 2:00 AM and it would wake everyone up.

And some of the apartments and homes are so close to streets, it will be miserable. It means they can park next to anyone's home and do that but if I came along with a loud speaker on a truck, that probably wouldn't be okay. Again, it does stink.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The cops will find other reasons to stop those loud cars. I doubt the Supreme Court would entertain taking this case and since the FL SC has ruled, it will remail lawful. I suppose they could still be stopped for disturbing the peace. I don't know.

Another problem is that we have motorcycles which speed up to 100 mph on the main road which abuts our little condo village. They are soooo loud and a menace to safety. Hot rod cars speed there too. A few years ago, one hit a concrete light pole at the corner while driving near 100 and when it hit, it sounded like an explosion. The driver died instantly. It broke the concrete pole. When I heard the explosive sound, I started to run out to see if I could help and call 911. Almost instantly, I heard sirens so am guessing the cops were after him for speeding.

Fri. evening, the cops pulled over a suspicious car and when the cop approached, he saw the driver had a gun. He shot the driver and killed him. There must have been a shootout because the mobile homes behind had bullet holes in the walls. It's a good think no one was killed besides the driver. For a little backwater town, this place is full of violence. Any wonder I carry a gun?

Love, Mikie