CAMPAIGN FOR A FAIR NAME Nominate New Names for 'CFS'

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

The vast majority of patients, doctors and researchers feel that the name 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' trivializes the serious nature of our disease. Please use this thread as your first step in helping us find a fair, new name for 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'. Nominate a new name here and/or read name nominations from others. This thread (section of the bulletin board) is for name nomination purposes only; please use the thread titled "CAMPAIGN FOR A FAIR NAME Discuss New Names for 'CFS' " to discuss names (this is located at the top of the message boards posts).

2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I do not have CFIDS/CFS/ME but I have an idea for the name-what about:

Myalgic Immunodysfunction Encephalomyelitis (MIDE)

It's a mouth full but the acronym is not bad and I think the name covers just about all of it but I would not swear to it.

This acronym isn't used in medical acronyms or abbreviations that I could find anyway.

Here is a good site to check to see if an acronym is used because there are so many of them it gets rather confusing...LOL

Just my little nomination,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2006]
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have always preferred M.E. and still do.

4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I nominate CIDS, mentioned above. It covers a wide range of symptoms.
  5. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

I nominate Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) as that's what it was first named and it's how it's listed at the World Health Organization. I don't see any reason to change what it was first known as.

My second choice would be to name it after the dr. that discovered it. Dr. Ramsey, wasn't it?

6. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Ya, I like CIDS.
    It covers everything. Plus...its clear enough for people to understand by reading the name. You dont want a long complex name that no one understands.
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Then you say CIDS, and someone says, "I thought only babies got that and they die!"

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, get it? No thank you.

Plus, first I had a viral infection, then 3 bacterial infections and then sprayed a tree insecticide all over myself: I almost died withing those 2 years. Would I be a Class 1 or 2, or both?

I won't vote until the NIH and CDC say more than "stressors" of all kinds cause it.

8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Reminds me of AIDS though... Hard to think of a name for something that damages every part of a person's body and function.

P.S. Findmind, you say it with a hard "C". Then people say, "You have kids?" lol ;)
    ((look out, future!!!!!)) Shannon
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

then we might not have another 10 yrs of blank stares before people know what it is.

10. Shannonsparkles

multisystem autonomic disfunction (MFD)

Nightengale's Disease
    (after Florence Nightengale, for whom CFS awareness day is named)

neuroimmunological entropy syndrome (NES)
    (entropy = chaos, degredation to the point of becomming inert)

Other ideas? Wish I was a doctor! A little medacalese would really make this more official. If only I knew Latin!
    ((xx)) Shannon
  11. birdkeeper

birdkeeper New Member

I vote for your idea its easy to understand and totally sums it up. The name fits the way it feels.

Great idea

12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know that this thread is for name nomination, however, I want to make a comment about a name that has been suggested.

MCD56, the acronym, CIDS, concerns me because people might very easily confuse CIDS with SID (Sudden Infant Death). The difference is obvious, however, I can imagine people with strange looks on their faces, leaving us to explain the difference.

I really dislike criticizing another's idea, especially since I don't have any suggestions yet. I just thought I'd point out the similarity in both names.

13. maverick76

maverick76 New Member

Many illnesses are chronic. They don't call it chronic multiple sclerosis, chronic ALS, or chronic herpes.

I'm also not sure that enchephalomyelitis is acurate. They're may be some brain inflammation, but we haven't seen that as a fact for everyone across the board.

Fatigue can be seen in many diseases, although, maybe not as severe and prevalent.

Finally, there are many subtypes as is evident when one person with the disease can have completely different symptoms as someone else.

Dysfunction of the HPA axis and immune system can be seen across the board, therefore I nominate this as a possible name.
  14. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I really like keeping a name that is already in use such as ME.

I also really liked Shannonsparkles' suggestion for MFD-Multisystom Autonomic Dysfunction.

Not too thrilled about the CIDS idea though, for reasons already mentioned.
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

As soon as they prove that's what is causing it.

Isn't that what the Australian researcher calls his discovery?

Or, a name after a person, like Nightingale's disease.

Or a one-word, short name along the lines of
    diabetes, influenza, lupus, gout, malaria.

Make up some new word. I am SO SICK of having an acronym.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2006]
  16. Shannonsparkles

A one word name would be ideal! I've been doing some research on how one word disease names are developed.

Someone asked, Where does the name "cancer" come from, for example. I just looked it up in a word origins dictionary. It was named by the ancient Greek physician Galen, who noticed "a crab-like pattern of distended blood vessels around the affected part."

SO... the word "cancer" comes from an ancient Greeks's fanciful observation of something that wasn't actually the disease itself. But it's in a foriegn language, and it stuck.

Some one-word disease names are based on a distinguishing characteristic of the disease written in Latin, the universal language of science. Some examples:

arthritis: joint inflamation
    lupus: skin lesions
    migrane: pain in half the head
    mononeucleosis: certain immune cells reduced to having one nucleous
    diabetes: passing a lot of urine

Some food for brainstorming. I don't know enough about the physiological process of the DD OR Latin to come up with something good. Maybe this will help someone to think something up. Like, if you know more about it and have a Latin-English dictionary, you could probably get something good.

((need more brains!)) Shannon
  17. pamj

pamj New Member

I agree that the certain words should not have to be included in the title, such as chronic or fatigue... and I like the way it is self-explanatory.

It would be nice if we could explain it without acronyms, but it's too complicated to have one word explain it.

18. Shannonsparkles

I posted about this in the other thread. It's my favorite so far. (( )) Shannon
  19. DoveL

DoveL Member

I Like the idea of..

Nightengale's Disease
    (after Florence Nightengale, for whom CFS awareness day is named)

OR ME.

Dove :)
  20. tao108

tao108 New Member

There have been suggestions for MFD or Multisystem autonomic dysfunction. I hate to pour cold water on anyone's good ideas, but surely that abbreviates to MAD, and that in turn is too close to an implication it's all in our heads?

ME does have the alternative long name of Myalgic Encaphalopathy, since there was found to be no inflammation, but this alternative doesn't seem to have been well taken up.