Camping Recipes Needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Jun 24, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My family and I are going camping next weekend (4 nights) and I could use some good camp food recipes.

We will have a two-burner camp stove and a firepit.

So far, I have one night figured out. This week I plan to make burrito stuffing: shredded beef (made in crock pot), black beans, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies). I will put this all in a ziploc and heat it up in a pan on the camp stove. I'll bring tortillas, cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc. That will be an easy night.

Any other good camping food ideas? (one night will probably be at a restaurant--doesn't get easier than that!). That leaves two nights.

Thanks for any input!
  2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

Marinate meat, vegetables with italian dressing and wrap it in heavy duty reynolds wrap...just be careful when you go to turn it over so it doesn't spill out.

i also like to fry potatoes this way. Just spray your reynolds wrap with pam, slice your potatoes and onions and wrap them in reynolds wrap...

i cook like this alot even in the winter time, easy, doesn't heat the house and no mess to clean...lacey

happy camping

nothing tastes any better than bacon fried over an open fire[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2007]
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Heat it up, and add tomato sauce or paste , black olives, anything else you like and serve in bowls with chips, cheese, chopped onion, sour's easy, which I like when camping.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Those are some very good ideas. Thank you!

I love how food always tastes so much better when you are camping. So I probably can't go wrong!

If anyone has good lunch type ideas, I'd like to hear those, too. Thanks!
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

If you have kids, ya gotta do Smores for dessert one night! Graham crackers, hershey bars and marshmallows. Gosh, does that take me back.

I haven't been camping in eons, but maybe for lunch you could do something like sandwiches. Get peanut butter and/or lunch meats and cheese slices that your family likes. Maybe add fruit that doesn't spoil quickly like apples or pop-open cans of fruit.

If you want snacks, protein bars, nuts, and string cheese are easy options.

Also, don't forget the plastic utensils, plates and napkins/paper towels and cups!

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2007]
  6. hurt_allover

hurt_allover New Member

a little late but here is one for ya.
    prepair at home..pound of hamburger or more. salt, pepper, garlic, tony's seasoning..spinkle of each your call..then add pecante sause..I use the garden style mild.about a half jar or 1 cup... more or less not too much you dont want your hamburer real wet just wet enough you can smell it and see it in your hamburger.( If you put to much pencante sause in, your burgers will fall apart on the grill) use your clean hands to mix it all up real good..pinch off a hunk and roll into a ball place it on a square of wax paper then cover it with a square of wax paper now wack it with a sauser to flaten it into a nice thick hamburger patty. repete until all hamburger in made into can stack these pattys then put them in a gallon size baggie. all you have to do is take the pattys out and remove wax paper and put on grill..ahhhh pencante burgers soooo good. oh for the bunns I get the large one's with the seseme seeds fits the burger.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

One of the things I do for when we go in the motorhome is chop up onions and green peppers into bite size chunks and put them into a ziplock bag. Then I slice a round steak or sirloin into strips and put them in another ziplock bag. That way I don't have to mess with chopping at dinner time.

I brown the onions and peppers (smells good all over camp!), dump them on to a plate and then brown the steak strips, dump the onions and peppers back in, add about a half a cup of liquid (water, beef broth, chicken broth, even beer!) and let it simmer until the liguid reduces. I serve it with tortillas warmed in tin foil over the fire or in a skillit on the stove.

Everyone thinks I worked all day when it was actually just a case of being prepared!!

Watch out for the bears!
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I definitely already have s'more fixins on the list. Mmmm. Now if I can just avoid eating the Hershey's before we leave!

We are looking at sandwich stuff for lunches. I'm also thinking of pita pockets and chicken salad.

Those pecante burgers sound yummy! Prep at home's the way to go!

I like the idea of doing all the chopping at home. I also like the idea of putting everything in a bag. I'll have to forgo the green peppers, though. Boy, I just hate those things! The rest of it sounds good though!
  9. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

All the recipes sound delicious. The hamburger, sliced potato and onion all wrapped in aluminum foil and put into the fire/ashes always worked for me. Corn, too.

A canned ham has always been handy. Apples, oranges, plums, tomatoes, nuts, good too.
    Canned concentrated milk with cereal works for breakfast.
    Canned Pork and beans are good for authenticity:)
    I bet you bring half of what you take back with you.

Have fun, your Mr Bill.