Can a bad tooth do harm?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Mar 20, 2007.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi all~

Last year I was told I needed alot of dental work done,...to which I have been doing the last 6 months.
    (Hate it,..flare everytime!)

anyways~ One tooth in the back,a molar,.. can't be saved and needs to be pulled. Its been supposedly needing to be pulled for about a yr now but I have no pain with it at all. So,..i've been waiting untill it NEEDS to be pulled.
    Can this be a bad thing???
    I mean,...can a decaying tooth leak toxins into us?

Thanks for your help :)
    Tandy

2. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Hi,
    Not to alarm you but as a nurse I should tell you that many heart valve infections that I saw when I used to work in critical care originated from tooth infections.

As a patient your post hit a nerve because my entire CFS ordeal began from a tooth infectiona 1 1/2 years ago. The left side of my face swelled up so bad that I could not open my mouth and could not swallow. CT scans showed an abcess under the floor of my mouth (it had migrated there from my molar). I spent a week on intense IV antibiotics which in turn made me vulnerable to a severe intestinal infection which I caught in the hospital.

The worst part is that I had just had a dental check up a month before including X-rays. This infection was missed and a couple months after my hospitalization the tooth became very infected again (this time I had pain, first time I did not) and it was pulled.

Though all of my infections are now gone I never recovered my strength or stamina and was dx with CFS (I already had fibro). and subsequently lost by ability to hold a job due to illness.

Sorry so long, just like I said, it struck a nerve with me! This whole ordeal started with a tooth for me!

Moral : NEVER ignore a dental infection.

GOOD LUCK
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

Take care,

Karen :)
  4. skikat

skikat New Member

yes hon , it can. i am not a nurse, but i agree that everything that was said was right on the mark. and dont put it off.i just this last week went to a dentist and had a wisdom tooth and the one molar just in front of that one pulled. i explained the fibro and medications and they were very attentive to all i said.i have to go back next week and have a lower wisdom tooth pulled also. i have worried myself to death for 2 years before having it done, plus the money factor was a big part of it too. i called every dentist in the town closest to me and they were all full for months! i was hurting some by now and didnt kow what to do. i thought , well, i would call the receptionist at teh prior dentists office (that i had for 25 years) and she told me of a place about 30 minutes from my home that only charged 25.00 dollar payments a month till paid. it is not a college , but experienced dentists. i thank GOD that i called her. it went great. hardly any pain at all and none with the pulling. just start making some calls. good luck. ski
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

you lit the fire under my butt!!
    LOL
    I'll make some calls and get an appointment to get it out asap.

I'm not aware if its infected??? would'nt it hurt?

I think its just been filled so many times and it has yet another cavity. so the dentist said it should be extracted.
    Stupid me just figured "wait till it bothers me".
    I know,...dumb. :0

Thanks again.
    Tandy
  6. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i also have bad wisdom teeth and cant afford to have the surgery to get them out. thry hurt to...