Can a cold flare up costochondritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I have costochondritis along with my FMS, TMJ, IBS, yeast problems. This past Christmas eve I wound up with a pretty bad cold. Everyone has been getting sick it seems with these nasty colds.

The problem with me and colds is I swear it flares up my costochondrits. I have also been trying to stay away from sugars, which I have failed because of the Holidays, and it seems that eating sugars and carbohydrates also flare up my costochondritis.

I know the easy answer would be to avoid these types of food completely, I really have tried and will be starting the Candida diet in January. I was just wondering if it's the cold I have, or the candida that flares this condition up. I haven't had a flare up like since about 6 months ago. Usually, I can take Advil and use a hot water wrapped up in a towel and put in on my chest. Anyone else have any ideas, or does anyone get this awful flare up with colds or certain foods? Hugs, Chelz.
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Someone else said that we are "walking petri dishes"; in that we catch every cold and virus that comes along.

Advice, be a "hand washing fool", make it an obsession. Don't touch mucous membranes [eyes, nose, mouth] with out washing your hands first.

For candida, try probiotics. Yeasts and bacteria compete for space in the colon. I had my best success with Three-Lac, 3 strains of Lactobacillus bacteria that really overtake the candida yeast. I had minimal sugar cravings and die off. Healthy bacteria "probiotics" also crowd out the bad bacteria like E. Coli.

Since our adrenal glands are also stressed out, any additional stressors like allergic foods will push you over the edge. Keep a list of foods that you eat with each meal and watch for allergic symptoms [indigestion, sinus, extra fatigue, heart palpitations].

Take digestive enzymes with your meals. You'll get more nutrition out of your food and if you dissolve allergic foods before they hit the small colon then you'll have nothing but amino acids to absorb. Most ppl are allergic to the protien component of a food.
  3. survivor13

survivor13 New Member

i cant beleive iv found sum 1 else with costachonditis,its fab,well not for us tho. I dont find any change to it with general colds etc but mine pop out and practically dislocate after any kind of physical task which is very painful and sore. I had a physio for a few years who used to try and manipulate the ribs back into the sockets and align them with the 'normal' ones but after a while of this he reckoned his efforts were making the condition worse as they conecting tissue was becoming very elastic and popped out as soon as they had been popped in so to speak. I too find heat helps with the pain, in a comforting way and have oly had a flare up of any seriousness a few times with it i.e could nt lift my arm above waist height for a while which made life intolorable.
    To conclude i have had a good think and reckon mine is not food or cold related at all,mainly physical exertion.
    sorry i could nt confirm your suspicions though
    xxxxxxxx((((((( hugs )))))))))xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  4. meeee74

meeee74 New Member

The last cold I had caused a lot of chest pressure. I think it was the mucous build up. Not a whole lot of pain, more pressure though. My costo is both painful and pressure-ful(?). Anywho, I hope you are feeling better.

Erica
  5. Line

Line New Member

I have been dxed with costo also but we have the fm tender points in our chest also. But anyhow I have either a head cold or my allergies are really bad, PND like you would not believe, wonder where it all comes from. My entire upper chest is so sore from coughing and now my upper back is joining in. I hardly slept at all for 5 nights, the pnd makes me cough and wakes me. I cannot take anti-histamine I am off the wall with them.

I am sure that a cold would affect Fm or costo as you re expanding those ribs every time you cough.

get you hot packs on. Hugs, Linda