can a doctor cut u off your pain meds cold turkey if you are in need of the

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by badgirl2012, Feb 18, 2012.

1. badgirl2012

badgirl2012 New Member

my doctor has stopped my refills on my 7.5 loratabs and i have a tumor on my spine im in severe pain ive always been told that if a doctor doesnt want u as a patient anymore hes still suppose to give u a 30 day supply of meds to tide u over until u can find another doctor i was told that its the law
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I hope by now you have gotten some help. My suggestion would have been to talk with your doctor, unless he told you he will not accept you as a patient any longer AND will not refill your prescription. Then you're going to have to find another doctor or clinic ASAP.

I don't know of any law requiring any doctor to prescribe pain meds to you if he does not want to.

3. misskoji

misskoji Member

I'm so sorry you are in such pain.

As far as I'm aware, a doctor can cut you off anytime they want to, for any reason. I feel this is very irresponsible of them, as withdrawl is a serious process.

You may want to call a pharmacist to check your local laws. But as far as I know, there are no laws in place to protect patients from this.

Best of luck to you.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At least, owes you an explanation. He may have found out the DEA is looking over his shoulder due to other patients he sees and you got caught up in the net. I have found that pharmacists are a good source of info regarding meds. I hope you are getting some help. Cutting off meds cold turkey is unprofessional. The least he could do is give you something else for the pain.

Love, Mikie