Can a Fibromyalgia Patient be a organ donor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ropaul, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ropaul

ropaul New Member

I was wondering if anyone knew if a fibromyalgia patient could be an organ donor.
    My husband already had two heart transplants and now needs a kidney transplant...his kidneys are only functioning at 19% they want to start evaluating him and then anyone who wants to be tested as a possible donor. He comes from a big family but only one sister has said she would be tested......the dr said now that a lot of people not related have been found to be a match....thanks for your help
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

I heard that after age 70 or so you couldn't, and I think I read that CFS patients were not accepted. But just because I read it in some local newspaper or magazine, doesn't make it true. I'll be watching this thread to see what you learn. Mse
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I would want to make sure you have properly ruled out Lyme Disease before donating an organ.

I have had FM for 21 years and through my own research, persistance and insistance I found out I have Lyme. Many others on this board have also been diagnosed with lyme. On the lyme board there is a list of well over 100 people who were first diagnosed with FM, CFS etc and later were diagnosed with Lyme.

I have posted alot of information on this board about it.
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I too have had FM for years....and found out I have Lyme Disease.

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2009]
  5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i'll be seeing my doc next week and will be approaching her about testing for lyme, can you tell me what specific test i need to be asking her for?? she is pretty good about doing whatever i have a suggestion about.thanks, Kat
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Go to the left side of the page click on "forms and sample requirements", then click on "test request form", then you will see where you can download the "patient test request form". Print out both pages of the request form to take to your Dr.

Also, call or email Igenex right away to get a free test kit with the prepaid fedex mailer sent to you.

You need an Ignenex western blot IgG and IgM. Usually the lyme panels include more than that.

The basic lyme panel #4090 includes the western blot and the lyme screen. It is $260 on the price list I have from Oct 2008.

The complete lyme panel #6050 includes the western blot, lyme screen and PCR serum and whole blood. it is $475 on my list.

There is also an Initial lyme panel which includes the western blot and PCR serum and whole blood. It is $410 on my list.

I had panel #6050 done. My lyme screen was indeterminate. My PCR was negative.

I would at least request the basic lyme panel and go from there. It is imperative that you have a western blot.

Don't waste your time or money having this done through another lab if she tells you it doesn't need to be through Igenex. INSIST on it.

Igenex will send you an itemized receipt that you can submit to your insurance co.

When you go to the Igenex website take the time to read through their information. It is helpful.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Ropaul, even if you end up making the decision that it's medically unwise for you to donate an organ, I applaud your desire to help out someone---in this case, your husband---in this way.

As the recipient of an anonymous, unrelated bone marrow transplant this past summer, I thank God every day that there are special individuals that are willing to make this sacrifice and give this gift, even when they don't know the recipient.

Of course, it's always wise to make sure you yourself are healthy enough to do so. I know there's quite a rigorous screening process for bone marrow, so I imagine there is also for kidneys.

Bless you for wanting to do it, and I hope your husband improves healthwise---sounds like he's already been through a lot!

8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Since my Lyme diagnosis, I have since changed my driver's license to reflect that I should not donate any of my organs. Spirochetes can lie dormant and reimerge years later when stessful conditions are high. Surgery itself is very stressful.

I would hate for someone that I gave an organ to have the lousy quality of life that I've had. For 28 years, I thought I had FM and CFS. After 3 years of Lyme treatment, I'm 95% recovered.