can a human get lyme from a dog?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Asatrump, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My son has three dogs and during routine shots and blood work it was found that one tested positive for Lyme disease. He is currently on 30 days of anti biotic. My son wasn't sure what the vet will do or say when he tests again in 30 days.

Meanwhile we wonder if he can get Lyme from the dog, or does he need his own personal tick?
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

I don't think there is alot of information on this possibility.

It is known though that lyme bacteria can be found in body fluids, so it doesn't hurt to assume that it could potentially be transmitted from a dog's fluids to a human.

It can be transmitted from human to human through body fluids, sexual contact, from mother to fetus, and through breastfeeding, so I wouldn't take anything for granted.

It is also likely that a person removing ticks frequently from a dog could be bitten by one of those ticks and not realize it, so be very careful and never use bare hands.....some of the coinfections those ticks carry are easily transmitted through broken skin.

You may be able to find some further info on lymenet.org.
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Many a dog (cats too!) has picked up a tick from the back yard and carried it into the house. If the dog sleeps in his bed so do the ticks. It's pretty hard to keep animals off the couch too.

Dogs have WAY better testing and get WAY more Abx pound per pound than humans. If the dog is getting treated for Lyme chances are it will make a full recovery. Most dogs go lame from Lyme and then develop some behavioral issues if not treated.

There are many reports that handling urine from an infected animal will transmit spirochetes. If the dog was infected as a puppy it's possible transmission ocurred during potty training.

The man who identified spirochetes in ticks accidently splashed urine from an infected rabbit and came down with a bulls-eye rash a few days later. He then tested positive for Lyme.

I don't think there has been any documented cases of direct dog to human transmission unless the human was BIT by the Lyme infected dog. There has to be some kind of body fluid exchange involved.

I do know of a man who was bit by an infected cat and got Bartonella and Lyme. He also pulled a tick off a "delicate area" so it's possible the tick gave him the Lyme.

You can try a search in Pubmed and see if there are any cases. Less than 40% of people ever develop a rash from Lyme. It's very possible that your son was infected especially if he lives in an endemic state and didn't know it.
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My son has 3 poodles, two are black minis and the one that tested positive for lyme is a white standard poodle. He is 3 years old and my son removed 2 ticks total but not at the same time. It is quite easy to see anything on his skin with the white hair.

By the way, the dog never exhibitied any symptoms, is quite a hyper active dog from day one. But after two weeks on anti biotic, he seems more hyper so it appears it may have effected him a small amount.

I have asked because his vet is vague, doesn't the dog build antibodies and not need further shots? He is also getting what I consider to be bad information from his vet about flea and tick protection.

The vet had him spraying a liquid on all three dogs for protection. He lives on the side of a mountain and has a fenced area for the dogs.

My son phoned me in the middle of the night maybe in August saying the big guy was drooling, mouth inflamed, eyes swollen. Insert sad smile: I take sleeping pills for my fms but I did pick up the phone and told him to give the dog two benedryl that he was having an allergic reaction to something and hung up. He phoned 7 am and we talked, he gave the dog two more benedryl, then read the ingredients on the liquid flea stuff. Evidently Sir Winston licked the wet stuff off one of the small dogs.

But his vet is still saying to use that product, that eighty dollars a month for front line is too much.

sorry, long winded.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Just one more note.....

At least in humans, there is no immunity that develops to the lyme bacteria. A person can be infected more than once.

It just seems like the same would be true for dogs, although I can't say for sure.