Can a maid be affordable?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pw7575, Mar 1, 2007.

1. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

After making myself feel completely lousy last night trying to clean the bathtub I am just wondering if it is really expensive to have a maid come in twice a month?

It seems like a lot of people here have maids who come in and help them out and I know most here don't have a lot of money.

I also do not have a lot of money and was wondering if this might be something that is affordable on a small budget?

If I could swing it I think it would REALLY be worth it. With my CFS I can not keep up with all the house work that needs to be done and I would like to take some work off of my boyfriends back.

It would be nice to not feel so guilty about having him do most of the work around here. I think a maid would really take a load off of both of us IF we can afford it.

Can a maid be affordable?

Thanks,
    Pam
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thanks Dncnfngrs! I always thought it would be really expensive to have a housekeeper but kept seeing that so many here have them and I KNOW we all don't have lots of money.

I was concerned about spending money on a housekeeper thinking of all the other things I could do with that money. However lately I am thinking it would be worth that money.

It would save me from stressing so much about all that needs to get done around the house. Also it would save me from spending my energy and feeling worse just to clean something around the house.

Plus I wouldn't have to feel guilty about my boyfriend having to do so much. I am thinking that piece of mind and eliminating that stress may just be worth the money.

I think I will look into it.

THANKS!
    Pam
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Wow, thank you pw7575 for posting the question....Now I know there might be away to look for help.

dncnfngrs: WHERE DO YOU LIVE and can I borrow your housecleaner!??? She sounds sooo wonderful. I do that too! I had a housecleaner and I cleaned before she got to my house so she would not think I was a pig!

Unfortunately, she not only did not tell me not to...she did and many others since her...did a lousy job. I can not find a good one :-( ..I live in South Florida if anyone knows one.

jmq
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Gosh dncnfngrs I don't know where you found that housekeeper but we need to find a way to clone her :)

I hope I can find one that is good and affordable. I am getting sold more and more on this idea by the minute. I am really going to have to figure out some creative financing for this one :)

Everything in this area (Northern VA/DC) is so expensive so I hope I can find a good price.

I will also look into the insurance thing but I won't hold my breath on that one.

You are full of great info :)

Thanks!
    Pam
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Unfortunately my idea to get a housekeeper is not looking good. My boyfriend isn't really up for the idea because of our lack of money and after looking into the finances I think I agree with him. Money is pretty tight.

Plus I went on Craigs List and the rates are looking too expensive for us. Looks like anywhere from $85 a visit to $125 a visit so far. We definitely can't afford $200 a month.

I will have to check into the insurance thing.

Otherwise I may just have to suck it up and just do what we can around the house on our own.

This stinks :( I was getting excited about the idea.

Take Care,
    Pam
  6. mary124

mary124 New Member

Pam: Somewhere I think I read that you live in Texas(?) are you on SSI or SSDI? if you are you are eligible starting this year to get help from the state. All you have to do is call your local HHSC office. It actually should be on your medicaid card (the telephone#) and let them know that you need help in cleaning) I work for the state, but different department so I don't know all the details but please call- it is free for you. Good luck and let us know.
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Actually Dncnfngers is the one who posted above that she is in Texas. I am actually in Northern Virginia. I am not on disability but I do plan to check into my insurance possibly paying for it.

Thanks!
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I didn't know that you could negotiate with housekeepers. I think I may try that. Tell them what I can afford and see if they will do it.

I think I might just put up an ad on craigs list saying what I want and what I can pay and then let them come to me. $10 - $12 per hour would be good.

Thanks Again!
    Pam
  9. desertlass

desertlass New Member

She does the cleaning and as much laundry as she can during the four hours she's here, once a week for $75.00.

When I first hired her, we could only afford having the floors, kitchen and bathrooms cleaned every two weeks. So, I would do all the de-cluttering before she came.

Then we added on dusting, but I still make my kids pick up their stuff first, and I try to de-clutter just so that things don't get out of control, but I'm not always up to that, so things can get pretty crazy looking in spite of all that. I'm the only person who will throw anything away, so training other packrats to be organized must be one of the worst job ever dreamt up, in terms of frustration.

A few years later, we upped her to once a week, and then added on laundry, so you can find out what their minimum is, and go from there, if you can't afford everything all at once.

So, it make take a few attempts, and I understand how hard it is to find someone and have them in your home. But, it is so worth it once you find someone who is willing to negotiate. Word of mouth is a good way to find someone, too. Churches and volunteer organizations can be a good resource for finding independent housekeepers, as well. Not all of them need to advertise, once they build up a clientele who then just recommends them to others. They are out there and they want to work!

Even if you can't afford something regular, or not right away, don't give up on the idea!

Lisette,
    Arizona
  10. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you for the information and encouragement. I still haven't totally given up on this. I am just learning from you and others in this post that you can negotiate with housekeepers.

I didn't know that before. So I think I will try. I didn't know you could ask them just for specific things instead of what they normally offer.

I would like to start off with just the necessities like you spoke of.

What I originally was looking for was just someone to come in and clean my bathrooms and do all the vaccuming since those jobs are too taxing for me.

All of that other stuff they do I can live without for now.

So I will look into this and see if I can find someone to do just those two things at a price I can afford.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Take Care,
    Pam
  11. netnut

netnut New Member

I actually know someone who lives in your area..northern VA and she and her friends do home cleaning. Actually she is my sons fiances mom.

She would be more than thrilled to help you out. She lives in the Prince William area. If you do a post on craigslist and then post back here...please do a seperate post with my name so I see it...lol. I will alert her to go look at craigslist and find you. I dont know how else we can get in touch with each other unless someone else has an idea.

If someone has any other ideas on how we can exchange info...just tell me because I can help you with this.
  12. novitality

novitality New Member

thanks for bringing a giggle out of me today!
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Boy! I'm getting convinced to try a housekeeper again. I had one when I first moved to the mountans but prices went up and my income didn't, so I stopped. Also, the only good one moved away, and all the others were terrible cleaners. I consider good cleaning moving the movable furniture, not just dusting around it - it's easy, since my furniure is light and my floors are hardwood).

If anyone knows of a good person or company, or how to find one, please let me know. I live in Paradise, California.

Oh, and I seem to have trouble hiring, now, because I'm a minority in a small town with very, very few. They consider it "lowering" themselves to clean my home, so they quote me outlandish prices, once they arrive.

I would really appreciate any good ideas.
    Thanks,
    Terry
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am in S. Calif. and have had help for two years. Two really great gals come every Wednesday. They thoroughly clean both bathrooms, kitchen, floors, counters, vacumns,cleans microwave, bathtubs, shower stalls, everything. - they are good.

I pay $60. week. They (2 people) are usually here about 4-5 hours. Sometimes there is only one person, but the cleaning is always excellent.

I would not hesitate to get help. I could never clean like they do. I would call some local cleaning services and try one out. I'm sure you will be happy.
  15. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

this thread got me thinking- maybe you could hire a responsible high school student- for around 10.00 an hour. that is better than what they would get working at many places that pay minimum wage. there are some great kids out there that might like some extra money.

just a thought

bigmama2
  16. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions! These are great. I am glad that so many of you have found good housekeepers. It gives me hope that maybe I will find one too.

A few have suggested students to clean for me. That may be a good option if I can not find someone.

I also thought about having a friend do it for me as I have a couple that could use the money and I know would be more than willing to do it for the extra cash.

BUT I am affraid they would come over and socialize more than clean and then expect to still get paid. I think that option could turn ugly so that may be a bad idea. I guess I could offer it up as a one time cleaning and see how they do. If it goes well I could ask them to do it regularly.

Adl123 - I hope you find someone to clean for you. That is SOOO awful that people are treating you that way because you are a minority! It is such a shame that people would do that.

Dncnfngrs - Thank you sooo much for all of your help on this! You have been so great. Unfortunately I can't seem to get into the chat on here. I don't know if it is because I have a macintosh computer or what but it won't connect for me. BUT I will be sure to leave a message here for you if I need some help or have some questions for you. I really appreciate your help! You have given me some great information on this. You are my housekeeping guru lol :)

Netnut - Unfortunately I don't know how we could get in contact since like I told dncnfngrs I can't seem to get onto the chat here. I would really like your cleaning connection :) If I do the ad on craigs list I will copy the ad and paste it here for you to give to her so that she can contact me. I will be sure to title your name in the post. What a crazy round about way of doing it! Thank you for your help though.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Hopefully I can find a way to afford this AND convince the boyfriend that it is worth the money AND find someone to do it for a good price. My boyfriend is up for a possible raise in the next couple of months so hopefully he will get it. That would really help.

Take Care,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]