Can a person Collect SSD and Long Term Benefits together?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BelleoftheSouth, Jun 7, 2008.

1. BelleoftheSouth

BelleoftheSouth New Member

I know I will be leaving work soon because it is to much for me to now after 20 years I can't function. I forget to much I can't keyboard anymore RA/Fibro/CFS and several other medical problems have caught up with me. ( I have to get a Cane and I am not happy but I can't walk without one now.)

I have Long Term Disability at work and have to have surgery for RA on my wrist which will keep me out of work for 8-10 months, and I am now wondering if I should file for SSD also.

What happens to my Medical Insurance?

Thanks YOu and gentle hugs to all ofyou.

2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Many policies dictate that whatever benifit you get from the Gov't has to be paid back to the policy. So you can't "double dip". You should check on the terms of yours...
  3. holly49

holly49 New Member

I am receiving both LTD from my last employer and after the appropriate amount of lost time, applied for SSDI and was awarded that. I will never be able to return to work due to my fibro. My employer does take an offset of my SSDI and my LTD benefits were reduced accordingly. As for health insurance, I have Medicare as my primary and my employers insurance as secondary. My LTD benefits will cease when I turn 65 years old. Each employers benefits apply according to their own rules. Hope this helps. Holly