Can a virus cause allergies?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpiroSpero, Apr 7, 2007.

1. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Hi all!

I know that viruses can cause a Th2 shift but I don't know if this can result in allergies as next step.
    Dr. Cheney spoke about Th1/Th2 balance and he said that the body will build a lot of IgE against everything but why do allergologists never think about viruses when it comes to allergies. My skin-doctor always tells me that it all lies in our genes and when they get dominant but looking at all PWCs and taking into account the huge increase in allergies since onset of illness this can't be the whole truth.
    If someone has any papers about the relation Virus->Th2 Shift->Allergies it would be very cool if you could post them here.

Greets

Manuel
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Severaal years back (have had this illness for 20 years) I had flu and developed something similar to polymalgia rheumatica.

Eight months later I got a very weird virus which gave me severe hives all over and my face swelled to twice its size. They nearly put me in hospital!

Four months after that, I caught a minor cold and developed severe allergic blisters all over my hands.

I then developed chemical sensitivity which I am sure was the result of all that in one year!

A year later I caught another cold and developed hives *IN* my eyes.

All these were definitely allergic reactions to viruses.

I seem to be over this phase now but it has left me weaker and with much more muscle pain, spasm and stiffness and some chemical sensitivities.

Blood tests have shown a high sed rate throughout that time and I am now showing positive ANA and RF and a mildly elevated sed rate still.

I can't say how or why these things happened and the doctors are baffled too. Still being investigated but in the UK, unless you are dying, they don't take much notice, I'm afraid.

I wish I could help more but all I can say is, from my experience, allergic reactions to viruses do happen, even if rarely.

Love Bunchy x
  3. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

a vius can not cause an allergy however an allergy can make you more suseptiple to a virus, from what my doctors have told me.
  4. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Because most doctors are idiots and only have tunnel vision and cannot think outside of a box. Allergies to a degree are hereditary, but the more stress on our immune systems the much worse they become.
  5. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

I don't know about viruses causing allergies but I did post extensively recently on high immunoglobulins (including IgE involved in allergies), CFS, and the Th1/Th2 shift. There has been published research on allergy and CFS - it's inconclusive about whether those who have allergies are more prone to CFS or whether CFS causes more allergies.

My post can be found by searching under "immunoglobulins."
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I may have read your post wrong.

I'm not sure viruses can cause allergies as such but they can definitely cause an allergic reaction.

Allergies like eczema, hay fever etc are more than likely exacerbated by CFS and possibly yeast complications as others have said.

Sorry if I confused you.

Love Bunchy x