Can allergies be causing my pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Sep 25, 2008.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey all, sorry I haven't posted on here in a really long time. I started college and it has been REALLY intense and difficult for me. I have become such a slow learner due to the cfs/fm that I am having to devote almost all my extra time outside of classes to studying.

So, my question is:

Can allergies be causing my pain?

The reason I'm asking is about a week to 1.5 weeks ago, we had an in-land hurricane. This caused a lot of tree damage and thus, lots of tree mulching and everything has been going on, especially here on campus where it's practically a mini-forest. I've been told that the mold spores are up because of all the tree damage and I happen to be horribly allergic to mold.

I've had a SEVERE pain increase since all this happened. I almost cried through my first two classes yesterday because I was in that much pain. I'm still having quite a bit of problems with pain today as well, it's incredibly difficult for me to even be typing. Is it from my allergies or is there something else going on?

2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Jen!

Sorry you are having such a hard time at school. This past week, I've been experiencing the same issue. I think we had Ragweed here in Atlanta. It made me "normal people" sick and then the fatigue and pain set in two days later. I have seen where other people on the board are effected as well.

I use Claritin - all the time. When it gets really bad, I buy some Sudafed (sp?).

Good luck in school this semester!

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Have you given up all products containing milk proteins? That means anything with dairy in it, even a little - milk, ice cream, cream, cheese, cream sauces, milk chocolate, etc.

Casein, the protein in milk, can cause allergies (by making the immune system hypersensitive), can congest the liver which can make you fatigued among other things, and can cause inflammation which causes pain. It's hard for some people to give up, and it can take several weeks to get it out of your system so you'd notice results.

Are you eating dairy?

4. kbak

kbak Member

I've noticed that since I've had to take more sinus meds this summer that I have felt better, so there may be something to that.

Take care,
  5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I don't know how to take anything extra tho, I'm already on allegra 180!

I eat some dairy but not that much. I've never had problems with it.

Oops, jaminhealth slipped in after I made my reply. =]

Yeah, I've always had allergy problems and I have chronic sinusitis, they just haven't been this bad in a LONG time.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2008]
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I didn't think I had problems with dairy until just before I got sick with cfs. I read somewhere that most allergies are indirectly caused by dairy making the immune system hypersensitive to other allergens, like cats and pollen, in my case. I gave it up for about 3 months and my 30 year hay fever problem completely disappeared.

Then, when I got sick with cfs, I tried organic dairy, but the same problems came back. Then I tried raw milk because it's really the pasteurization process that alters the milk proteins and makes the immune system produce antibodies to them. I didn't sneeze, but it congested my liver and created other problems. So I gave it up again. Even using a little bit of butter on my food would make my sinus problems come back in a couple of days.

Our digestive systems are not working right and they are now supersensitive to things that otherwise wouldn't bother them, like maybe little bits of dairy. Maybe if you cut it out entirely, it may help. It can gum up and damage the villi in the intestines and the guts are the heart of the immune system. Milk was keeping me sick, even a little. Don't dismiss it too readily.

Have you looked into gut dysbiosis?

best wishes