Can an allergic reaction trigger a flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, May 2, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Yesterday as I was driving my bus down the road, I began to feel a burning sensation right at the waistband of my jeans. It just kept spreading & getting hotter & hotter till I thought my lower back & butt were on fire. I could hardly sit there. Needless to say, I did not "take the bumps easy" driving. I got home ASAP & man oh man was my lower back & upper cheeks beet red & swollen up. My husband looked for a bite mark but couldn't find one. He wanted me to go get it checked out which I did. The doc said I was having an allergic reaction to probably 2 spider bites. Luckily there was no respitory reaction.

Later last evening the burn was gone & most of the redness too. This morning when I got up my back hurt so bad, my legs, my neck, just about everywhere. Yesterday (up to bite time) had been one of my rare better days.

I'm wondering if a reaction like that could trigger a flare. Has anyone experienced this or know if it could trigger a flare?

Thanks & take care......Kathi
  2. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

When your body has a severe allergic reaction like that your body goes into a semi state of shock to protect itself. So yes, I would think it would cause a major flare to come on.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had a severe bunch of spider bites in September (over twenty bits from my shoulder to my finger tips), I was terribly sick, but did not have a serious flare.

It took almost two months for me to get well again, but I was achy, more like a flu than FM pain.

By the way, I was just bit again by 'something' on my arm. I immeadiately put Apple Cider Vinegar on it, and it took the fever and swelling out of it in a couple of days.

This adivce is from Acesnanna, who I think saved my life with the 20 something bits in September. She is my 'Hero' for sure!

Yes, I think it could cause a flare, the stress itself could trigger it.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm not a medical professional of any kind, maybe some of our experts here will chime in....but I think there is a big connection (at least for some of us) between allergies and FM in general. I now believe that for me personally, unchecked allergies (undx'd for years) is the main precipitating factor in my FM.....and I also feel a severe allergic reaction could result in a flare.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Hugs,
    Pam