Can an anthesisia give your CFS and FMS a backslide?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mastersinger, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

Just had an operation-uterine polyp removed and D&C 7 weeks ago. Am experiencing such tiredness-like how i felt in the beginning with all this. anybody else? Polyp was begign -thank God! Thanks! Mastersinger
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

YES, YES, YES and YES!

I just had surgery on August 31st for a simple cyst removal which actually wound up being more because the doctor found a lot of endometriosis that he had to clean up.

Anyway, I am STILL trying to catch my ground from that surgery! Now, I have also been dealing with a virus that I can't seem to get rid too.

Immediately and a couple of week after my surgery the anesthsia just really threw me off balance completely. I was so tired and foggy and just couldn't seem to function.

So I in my opinion, yes I think it could do that.

I am sorry you are experiencing this!!!!

((((((HUGS)))))

kate
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Actually, that is when my CFS started, after a laparoscopy that was done under general anesthesia

I had had FMS, but it was tolerable, then the fatigue kicked in after the surgery and frankly never left
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi, I have had fibro and possibly CFS for many years, but it was tolerable. Since I had gallbladder surgery about a year and a half ago, under general anethesia, my fatique has escalated. I had an allergic reaction to one of the meds in the anethesia, felt like I couldn't breathe, itching all over. I don't know if that is just coincidence, but my fatique has been at its worst ever in the past year or so. I hope you get some answers soon! Take care, Kim :)
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I am a former Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist for well over twenty years before I had to retire due to a back injury and this DD.

In my opinion, it is not the anesthetic but the trauma of the surgery which brings on some of the symptoms or triggers FM or CFS.

I was around anesthetics before they had scavenger systems in the operating rooms and we vented the exhaled anesthetics and gases into a tube which just ran across the floor, meaning that everyone in the room got some anesthetic.

I had an emergency hysterectomy in 2001 and the trauma of loosing all the blood, and the surgery, and being kicked out of the hospital before I was ready, SET ME BACK, WAY, WAY BACK.

I NEVER FULLY RECOVERED.
  6. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

I learned this the hard way when I had a lumpectomy in 2000. Since that experience, I have had four other surgeries, and I found that as long as I was given something to relax me and something for pain BEFORE the procedure, and then they agressively treated my pain after the procedure, I didn't end up in a flare-up.

It may not work the same for others with FMS/CFS, but that is what worked for me. Hope that helps!
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Just in case anyone has to have surgery again, the ncf-net.org has a protocol that should be followed, regarding the sodium channel.

I have it in my purse with my medical information. It's vital if you have true CFS.

findmind