Can anti-depressant make you have anxiety/Panic attacks & suicidal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi.

Im am living hell with anxiety and panic attacks. I take Remeron/Mirtazpine anti-depressant. They put it up to top dose a week ago and have left me to get on with it. The panic is so bad and for so long i feel no way out but death. I am in a constant dizziness which i am sure is irratating it.
    No one wants to help me or dont know how to help me. I have been mostly bed bound and house bound for 5 months now. I cant see a way of how to get my life back anymore as what started off as just fatigue problem has now gone into a deep depression.

Do you think the anti-depressant may be the cause of my thoughts and the anxiety/panic attacks or is it all in my mind!!

PLEASE ADVISE, i dont know what to do anymore.

Shazzy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2003]
  2. jeniwren

jeniwren New Member

Hi Shazzy,

My experience of ani-depressants has nothing to do with FMS or CFS. My teenage daughter was prescribed Zoloft for clinical depression and actually got worse while taking it. At first it seemed to help her and she seemed to be getting better, but then she went downhill very rapidly; was suicidal! So I don't think that you're imagining things. Maybe..if possible you need to try another Dr or at least get who you're seeing to do a review of your meds. Different people react differently to different meds and how the individual reacts can also change. Hope that this is of some help.
    Wishing you peace
    Jeniwren
  3. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I have been on a lot of Anti-depressants over the years, but I am not personally aquainted with Remeron.
    Shazzy, THINK- you have depression. They gave you an ANTI-Depressant. So, it is one of Two things.
    1.You are scared and over-reacting, and therefore creating a panic attack.
    2. The Remeron is not the right drug to treat your depression, and you need a Different Anti-Depressant.
    Does that make any sense?
    If that makes sense, then call your DR. this morning, and tell him what you've said here, and just cry HELP!!! until he does help you, OK?
    We really care about you, so let us know what happens, OK?
    Love,
    Fibromiester
  4. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I take anti-depressants and have anxiety too. If I take high doses of anything, I have all kinds of side effects. You sound like you may be chemical sensitive too. I always stay at the lowest dose that still helps that I can.
    Maybe try cutting back.
    Call your doctor to make sure!!
    Good luck, Vicky
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Being chronically ill, can certainly lead to depression, which can lead to thoughts of death, and a good dose of anxiety comes from these DDs as well.

It is very common to have to try a number of different anti-depressants, to come up with the one that works best for you.

Each of us with these disorders responds differently to meds, so although asking questions of others, and their reactions to various meds is productive, and informing, it does not neccessarily mean that you will respond in the same way.

You did not mention how long you have been on this regime, some take up to 4 wks to begin to take effect. You should discuss this immediately with your prescribing Doctor, it is imperative that you be honest, and forthcoming on the panic, and thoughts of death. He may think you have not taken this for long enough to obtain the results, or may choose one of many other antidepressants on the market.

I don't think ANY of this is in your mind--as you ask. Depression is treatable....and you should be expecting relief, hon. Please phone your Doctor today....and let him know how severe this has gotten.
    Best wishes, LL
  6. grandmama16

grandmama16 New Member

Hi Shazzy and everyone....I havn't heard of the med you're on but I'm new here and this thread of discussion caught my eye. I've been on different antidepressants for years both for depression and FM. I have had adverse reactions to some of them, dizziness, confusion, so prozac seems to be the only one I can take, or Celexa. Yet, even with that I seem to be tired all the time. I'm on 2 a day now and can hardly get out of bed. Taking Vicoprofen for pain does help me perk up a bit tho. So, is Prozac helping?!! Only in the sense that I can cope with things easier but it doesn't really get rid of depression or lithargy....and the thoughts that plaque me even tho I have a good, yet simple, life with a wonderful husband. There's not much money as I've not worked since having kids so no SS in the future for me. No social life except thru our Parish and with our family. We had 4 born to us, 1 adopted and 2 refugee teens. I'm almost 59 now so kids are all grown. There are 16 grandkids and I've been involved with daily care of several including our youngest's daughter's 7mo old boy now. He's fun but I get exausted easily from it tho I don't want to admit it. Grandma is always available. Grandma never feels good about herself. No one knows.
    So Shazzy....I say let your Dr. know how this is affecting you. It's not right for you to feel this lousy. I used to have panic attacks before I even knew what they were or was diagnosed with either depression or FM, but havn't had them in a long time.
    I hope I am able to be a regular contributor to this site. I've got a new refurbished computer from oldest computer whiz son and still havn't found bookmarked, or favorites so I've been wandering around the web. Sure is nice to have a computer that doesn't hesitate when I'm typing, or so slow when trying to get somewhere.
    Happy Thoughts, M.A.
  7. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Hi, hope by now you are feeling better. I cannot take anti-depressants. My last expeience I felt like I was dying on the lowest dose of effexor,took me 3 days to beable to even lift my head. Yet I had a friend put on it and it really helped her. I was actually scared to give it to her,I was taking care of her. Since I suffered so on it I was suprised she did so well with no side affects. Just shows our chemistry`s are diffierent. I also crawl the walls on elavil, lowest dose. The docs still keep trying to put me on it and same reaction over and over so I just don`t take it. I either go flat line or all jumpy. So I have quit trying antidepressants, just not for me. You may need to try something else, my friend flipped out on me after a few months on prozac but elavil helped her the best, just all her teeth started to fall out from the dry mouth so had to take her off. All I am saying it is trial and error for many.I know I would never take another effexor,I was so sick yet it helps others.
  8. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Shazzy:
    Sorry you are having such a terrible time with your antidepressant. I've never heard of it either. Some good advise on the other posts, the one about maybe it's the wrong medicine for you was best.
    Can you get suicidal and anxious on antidepressants??? Yes, you can. Both my brother and sisterinlaw were on Prozac and both got worse, and my sisterinlaw even got suicidal. They both got off Prozac and felt better. They were started on Wellbutrin and both felt "normal", with no more overwhelming depression. It has continued to work for several years with no serious side effects. It is worth mentioning to your doctor. It might be the one for you, or another one. Don't give up, there is hel p for you.
    We care, let us know what hapens.
    sue
  9. kcollins

kcollins New Member

Shazzy,
    My daughter became increasingly anxious, depressed and eventually suicidal after being on an anti-depressant for several months - she was hospitalized in an adolescent psychiatric unit at the worst point. After the AD was changed to a different type of drug (anticonvulsant -trileptal) the suicidal feelings went away. This takes a while, she felt worse for a few weeks after stopping AD but eventually felt much better. Definately talk to your doctor about this. Hope you feel better soon - this must be a very difficult time for you.
    Take care,
    Kathy
  10. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for all your replys.

I talked to my drs they just keep saying give it a try on high dose and leave me to get on with it. I Cant bare this.

Shazzy

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our brains may be in a constant state of slight seizure activity. Antidepressants and stimulants can exacerbate this problem. The little seizures can produce anxiety/panic attacks, lack of sleep, RLS, and sensory overload. Dr. Cheney has written an article on Klonopin and it is in our library. It does a very good job of explaining this. He has also written a very good article on SSRI's and stimulants and how they can damage a brain already in a state of seizure.

There are many types of antidepressants and sometimes people have to try several before finding one which works. I think your doc is wrong to put you through this even if he believes these side effect will eventually go away. Remeron resembles a hybrid between SSRI's and the tricyclic antidepressants, according to "Worst Pills Best Pills." They do not recommend it until five years after release as there is not as much known about the adverse side effects of this drug. It does list some adverse side effects which would make me hesitate even if I didn't know the dangers for us of using SSRI's.

SSRI-type meds can cause the already misfiring neurons in our brains to fire too rapidly, causing brain damage, according to Cheney. It is like trying to cover up a rough-running car engine by advancing the idle speed. It will cover up the misfire, but it will eventually not only burn up the engine, it will burn up the transmission as well.

Love, Mikie
  12. kcollins

kcollins New Member

Shazzy,
    I posted above about my daughter. I'm really worried that the docs aren't listening to you about this. I think you should call again and tell them specifically that your are feeling suicidal and that these symptoms are worse when anti-depressant is increased. If they still don't listen I would find another doctor. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you're doing.
    Take care,
    Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2003]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Get this doc off his ass or find another one. He isn't taking this seriously.

Love, Mikie
  14. Echos

Echos New Member

Hello Shazzy,
    Echos here. I take Wellbutrin SR and have been for months now. It does indeed make me have anxiety attacks and irritability. I have seizures as well so the anti-d combined with my seizure activity (every 3 seconds) increases my levels of anxiety. I was Put on Klonopin to relieve this and so far it's doing it's job with the anxiety,but I do have days where the wrong thoughts are going through my head. Most of the time I'm fighting to keep my grip on the edge that I feel I'm about to fall into. Your doc needs to change this medication if it's having these effects on you. Call your doc asap. Too much depends on it.
    SWAK's,
    Echos
  15. teach6

teach6 New Member

I had a problem like you are having with another antidepressant. My doc kept telling me that there wasn't anything else left to try, which was not true. Bottom line, he refused to listen to me and then overprescribed an anxiety med for me. I ended up leaving him over this fiasco. He refused to listen to me.

I know it's not easy to change docs at the drop of a hat, however once when I really needed help I called the Mental Health number on my insurance card and they found me a psychiatirst who could get me in within days. I didn't stay with him long, but it helped for the immediate problem.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Barbara
  16. phenom

phenom New Member

hi shazzy, i'm sorry to hear you're not going so good right now. in my experience, anti-depressants can give you extreme anxiety and panic attacks if you are bi-polar (manic-depressive). are you and your doc sure you are experiencing just depression (not that depression is really a 'just')? maybe you could look into this. anti-d's are horrible for people with bi-polar, it sends them into a manic episode. if you've not had one before, you might not recognise it. worth asking your doc about i think. good luck.

phenom
  17. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi All,

Just to update you all the the drs have agreed to change my anti-depressant back to one i been on before called Prothidan.

Shazzy
  18. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Yes it is a anti-depressant. Another name for it is called Dothipin. I think i spelt it right. Hopefully it will help with anxiety too.

Shazzy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2003]