can any help with lab test results?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sixtyslady, May 1, 2006.

1. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Well I have a question the Rheumy,s nurse finally told me that my lab test came out o.k.. but my c.r.p.was alittle high mine was a 5 and its suppose to be around a 4.
    but I told her I still didn"t think I fit the criteria of polymagia. because I only have 2 of the symptoms. and I"ve had this neck and shoulder pain for many years she said she would talk to the Dr and call me back tomorrow. I told her I didn"t want to take predisone.
    so if anyone knows about this c.r.p. lab test please let me know.
    thanks sixtyslady
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I don't know about the test you are asking about, but here is a great website that explains lab tests. Just look for CRP.

http://www.webmd.com/a_to_z_guide/medical_tests.htm
  3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

4. tlayne

tlayne Member

Hi sixtyslady! Did you mean polymyalgia? CRP is a lab used to diagnose bacterial infections and inflammatory disease. It can also be used to tell if you have recently (with in 1-3 days) had a heart attack.
    Let me know what your Dr. says. I hope everything works out for you. Hugs, Tam
  5. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

People in chronic pain are likly to have this, I have Fibro,RA,Sezuires,Facets,MS,and polymyalgia with some more other illiness to many to list.
    I get trigger point injections they do help me tho after getting them it is pure hell for a few days with pain. They work for me for a good 6-8 weeks.
    Just another thought for You to ask your doctor.

Neck pain is common in the general population and even more common in a chronic pain management practice. Very few reliable epidemiological studies regarding the prevalence of neck pain exist; however, a Finnish study and a Norwegian study estimated the prevalence of neck pain in the general population to be approximately 34%. Furthermore, the prevalence of chronic neck pain, defined as lasting 6 months or longer, is estimated at approximately 14% (Bovim, 1994; Makela, 1991).

In 1933, Ghormley coined the term facet syndrome to describe a constellation of symptoms associated with degenerative changes of the lumbar spine (Ghormley, 1933). Recently, the term cervical facet syndrome has appeared in the literature and implies axial pain presumably secondary to involvement of the posterior elements of the cervical spine.

Many pain generators are located in the cervical spine, including the intervertebral disks, facet joints, ligaments, muscles, and nerve roots. The facet joints recently have been found to be a possible source of neck pain, and the diagnosis of cervical facet syndrome is often one of exclusion or not considered at all. Clinical features that are often, but not always, associated with cervical facet pain include tenderness to palpation over the facet joints or paraspinal muscles, pain with cervical extension or rotation, and absent neurologic abnormalities (Fukui, 1996). Imaging studies usually are not helpful, with the exception of ruling out other sources of pain, such as fractures or tumors. Signs of cervical spondylosis, narrowing of the intervertebral foramina, osteophytes, and other degenerative changes are equally prevalent in people with and without neck pain.
    Always
    Michelle

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2006]
  6. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

I guess I must have inflamation some where in my body ,well to day I feel like its in every part of my body even my faces hurts .hope tomorrow is a better day.
    Hugs sixtyslady
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am sorry you are hurting. CRP is used to detect inflamation. I think you could try other things for that(asprin? black cheerry juice?) instead of the steroid.

Maybe someone here can help more than I.

Lobve Anne C
  8. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

my crp was just barely elevated. so I think I"m going to try the black cherry juice. as Dr Becker says try natural first,and I truly believe that for myself. I know alot of people disagree, but you have to do what one feels is best for their own health, and I know from past years of trying Meds most of them just didn"t work and some of them made me worse.years ago I ended up in the hospital from antidepressants, but some people do fine on them,I don"t. I think my juicing is helping, my blood sugar,I"d always get those shakes from low blood sugar. and they seem to have let up since I started Juicing. thanks again sixtyslady