Can Anyone Answer This?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jan 19, 2009.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Several times I have read posts indicating that I am not alone in feeling better later in the day. In the morning, I am dragging. As the day goes on, especially in late afternoon and early evening, for two or three hours I feel better. I know I'm not the only one, but I have no idea why. Does anyone know why this late day energy improvement occurs with some CFS patients? Thanks, MsE
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i was told by my Pharmacist, it's cause our cortisol is soooo low in the mornings we have NO energy because of that( and other things im sure) but the later it gets in the day the more your cortisol comes up, so you start feeling better in the evenings. when he asked me about this, i said YEP thats me, and he told me thats how his fibro patients all's the cortisol. have you had yours checked???? i did and it was barely on the charts in the am. Kat
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

I may be low cortisol, possibly due to adrenal exhaustion. There's a salivary cortisol test that you can get for like $50(?), but of course you need to get it through your doctor. There are blood tests too, but I believe the salivary one is considered more accurate. It tests your cortisol and other hormone levels during a 24 hour period. All you have to do is swab your mouth once every six hours.

4. MsE

MsE New Member

Adrenal exhaustion and low cortisol, huh? Well now. That reminded me that a couple of years ago I saw an acupuncturist. She said words to the effect: "Your adrenals are shot."
    So if that's the problem, what does one do about it? Diet? Supplements? Meds?
  5. panthere

panthere Member

Well, there's lots of things you can do for adrenals. The best would be to rest and have no stress whatsoever, but i guess it might be hard to do!
    Read this book:
    I have found the book super helpful. He tells you what supplements as well as what diet to follow. I just started to take powdered licorice in AM which has been helpful. The best thing for me is adrenal cortical extract shots 2-3 times per week. And of course there is cortef, but you can try milder stuff before getting to cortef.
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

Now I know I need to do some research on this adrenal corisol thing, and I will. Also, any additional information you can send, I will appreciate. Sincerely,MsE--who is tired of looking 64, beiing 74, and feeling 84. Yes indeed. I need help! Hugs to all of you.
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hello, my dear friend. I can so relate to feeling worse in the morning and improving some by afternoon and evening. I did have a blood cortisol test at the doc's office and it was normal but I am sure it was in the afternoon as I don't make morning appointments. Years back when I was trying to find out what in the heck was happening to me I had the spit cortisol test done and it was so low of the morning and did rise in the afternoon. I never followed up after my doc told me my cortisol was fine. I still to this day doubt my Dx. I have given up on docs and am becoming a hermit. Just getting out is sometimes worth the payback and sometimes not. I am 66 and my 91 yr old MIL can out do me big time.

I can so relate to your physical feelings and your thoughts. Sorry I don't have any answers.

God bless,
  8. yes I am the same, often wondered why also, I thought maybe it was because your muscles relax when your more tired? I have fibro but also think cfs
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

My thanks to all of you. This Board is always helpful and kind. MsE
    PS. Hi Greatgran! God bless!
  10. panthere

panthere Member

I buy adrenal cortical extract (ACE) from 2 of my doctors. One is Dr. Guyer in Indianapolis He does phone consults, but super expensive. He has a pharmacy that ships it to me. I also have another doctor in LA who I buy it from too. Whenever I get IV drips (about once a week), I put 2 cc of ACE in it. I also do intramuscular shots of ACE, usually 1 cc, plus B12, 0.5 cc every other day. Dr. Guyer thinks I can go up to 5 cc of ACE per day, but I haven't done that yet.

I also taken frozen CF support, but that stuff is super expensive. It's supposed to be the best though.

I also talked to Dr. Neville at Clymer who suggested I take powdered licorice. It's not expensive and you can buy it at the link I just provided. You take it first thing in the morning and it's supposed to increase half-life of any cortisol that you have in your system at the time. I have been taking it for a week now and have noticed some energy in the morning from taking it.

In terms of diet, i do no caffeine, no sugar, always protein at every meal. I have heard that you shouldn't have foods with higher potassium to sodium ratio since that can make you feel worse. So, no bananas...I haven't really explored this avenue though yet.

Let me know if any other questions...
  11. MsE

MsE New Member

You guys are the best! I really appreciate all the specific suggestions and am making a list. The only one I know I can't use is licorice as it increases blood pressure and mine has a tendency to spike. It also drops at odd times, but most of the time if it misbehaves, it spikes. So I watch out for supplements that can increase blood pressure.

It seems that most of the help I've received has been through this board and the research you've done. My doc means well, but I'm in a small town with a monstrous patient-doctor ratio, high percentage of medicare patients, and poor repayment by the feds. It makes it difficult for the best of docs to keep up-to-date with what's going on. These days, those of us with "odd" ailments really do need to take responsibility for our own well-being because the medical profession can't do it. What a shame!

So, I'm very grateful to all of you for your help.
  12. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I think we should also consider blood pressure. Recently, my blood pressure tends to be pretty low in the morning (e.g. mid 70s or 80s). That's why I start off drinking Vitalyte as soon as I wake up (electrolyte solution) and eating food, even if I don't feel that hungry.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2009]

LISALOO New Member

My cortosol tests showed high cortisol all day long, but really high late morning, yet I still drag in the morning and am more awake at night, even with a higher than normal cortisol.

SO I think it could be many things.
  14. panthere

panthere Member

What about your thyroid??