Can anyone describe "Post Exertional Malaise"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Sep 23, 2005.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I think I have developed CFIDS. I am currently diagnosed with FMS. Could someone anyone describe what "Post Exertional Malaise" is?
    When I work a full day or clean house within 24 hours I feel like I have no energy. I am confused. I feel sick. Like fluish. It happens all the time. I also have had frequent sore throats and bouts of pleurosy etc. If this is CFIDS then I need to go back to the Dr. again and get checked out.
    Thanks
  2. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I can only tell you what I experence. If I go to the gym and excerise to hard or go for a long walk or try to walk to fast for to long, it kicks my butt. when I walk in the door I will fall into bed for at least a few hours. Alot of the time I will still feel it the next day depending on how hard I worked out.

I hardly ever have this happen anymore because I know my limits. I can still go to the gym or go for a walk I just have to be very careful not to work to hard.

For me cardio is the worst. If I keep my heart beat down I do ok.

Cathy
  3. lilbird

lilbird New Member

I can only tell you what I experence. If I go to the gym and excerise to hard or go for a long walk or try to walk to fast for to long, it kicks my butt. when I walk in the door I will fall into bed for at least a few hours. Alot of the time I will still feel it the next day depending on how hard I worked out.

I hardly ever have this happen anymore because I know my limits. I can still go to the gym or go for a walk I just have to be very careful not to work to hard.

For me cardio is the worst. If I keep my heart beat down I do ok.

Cathy
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Part of the CDC criteria for CFS is “post exertion malaise lasting more than 24 hours”. I hate the word malaise, but it is deep exhaustion that lasts for more than 24 hours.

When I was first developing CFS, although I had no idea what was wrong, it would take me two nights to recover from what I would have previously considered very moderate exertion. Now I know my limits and generally stay within them, but when I overdo it can take even longer to recover.

I think mitochondrial dysfunction, which can lead to heart failure, is also a likely explanation. If you want to read more, look for the article “CFS is Heart Failure Secondary to Mitochondrial Malfunction” by Dr. Sarah Myhill posted by tansy last month. Then look for “Explanation of the Fatigue Problems in CFS Patients”.
  5. jana15

jana15 New Member

Mine is a total and complete exhaustion which will last for WEEKS! I can't get out of bed and need to have someone assist me to the bathroom (14 steps away from my bed) I can't shower alone or dress myself. Fortunately now after 6 years I pretty much know how much I can do and when I need to stop.

But sometimes it is not possible to 'pace' yourself for example earlier this month I had a wedding on the Monday. Day surgery on the Wednesday and again on the Friday. That was three weeks ago and today is the first day I've had out of bed since then but still I can't walk up and down the stairs let alone drive a car or do anything like the tasks I was doing three weeks ago.

The fatigue is definately my most significant symptom (even though I suffer both FM and CFS) and the trick to sucessfully managing it still escapes me. So my basic rule of thumb is to quit way before I think I'm tired and even then I still sometimes discover I've over done it.

As for the other symptoms. Yes they sound typical of what I regard as the 'post exertional malaise' sore throat, sore glands, head aches. aching all over. loss of control of bladder and or bowel (and damn I hate that) I also get cramps, nightmares (when I am able to sleep) and restless legs. Sometimes the so called malaise is so bad I can't even turn over in bed and I find swallowing so difficult that I think I going to choke.

I don't like the word malaise. Somehow is sounds so dainty. What I suffer, when it happens to me, is far from dainty. It's brutal.

Yes I would go back to see my Dr if I were you, but remember there's not much they can do apart from confirming your suspicions. The best you can hope to do is to try and get an idea of what your limitations are and then try not to exceed them!

I hope this helps

Cheers Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  6. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

For me the post exertional fatigue can last for weeks! I used to be an athlete, now I'm lucky to be able to go on a walk without crashing. Last month I was feeling better and went swimming. I over did it, swimming some laps and I've been flaring ever since. The fatigue constantly feels like I just ran a marathon and all my other symptoms kick up as well. It's horrible.