Can anyone else relate? Neck problems.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chula61, Aug 28, 2008.

1. chula61

chula61 New Member

I was wondering if any of you have this problem? My head is forward and my upper back has a lump. Doctors have said that its fat, but I've seen other women who are heavier than I am and the lump between their shoulder blades is not nearly as pronounced as mine. When I feel my lump it feel like my spine is protruding outward. I realize that the spine does curve outward on everyone just below the neck, but mine is big. I also have a lot of pain in shoulders, between shoulder blades and neck and lots of headaches that radiate from back of head and around to back of eyes. Also lately my eyes have been twitching alot.
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Have you had an MRI of your neck and the base of your skull? An x-ray? A neurologist take a look at it?

I would get a 2nd opinion if your dr. hasn't done any of these things for you after you ask for them.

I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, and the pain you describ is very much like mine.

You could also search Chiari Malformation here or google it; it may give you some questions to ask.

I'm sure others will chime in here and help with other suggestions; I hope you find some that help you greatly.

Ice packs are the only thing that help mine.

Best to you,
  3. jodboga

jodboga New Member

my doctor told me mine was from taking predisone . Said steroids of any kind will do this .
  4. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I have had it for years, I also have degenerative disc disease and had a spinal fusion on c5 and c6. It did help with the pain but the hump is still there.
  5. lisapierce

lisapierce New Member

my neck hurt all the time I went to doctors and they could not find nothing..i went to chiropractor and he could talk mumbo jumbo but the pain is real and mine still hurts. I take alot of herbs and vitamins to releave my pain alot but when I have the flare ups....nothing can stop the neck pain with the hump in it....and the headaches that come with it are unbearable at times....I feel what you are feeling. but dont know what to do about it yet I am still researching. went to the doctor and he gave me relefen and effexor and I am afraid to take them...
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I love this board because so much medical that I have is discussed here, like this hump. Like you, I was told the hump was just fat, but a nurse told me that she felt it and she could feel bone. I had lost 50 pounds when I was really sick and still the hump didn't disappear, so I don't believe this "fat" theory the doctors use. Again, I think many insurance plans find it easier to say it is fat instead of paying for more costly tests to truly find out. By the way, for years I have had severe migraines, and I had back problems like herniated discs, which I believe may have been attributed to this "hump." But I had an accident which damaged my back and I am permanently disabled so I have to now use an electric scooter to get around and I now have lupus. So now they don't care about the hump.
  7. chula61

chula61 New Member

Thank you all so much for all the information. I don't know what I would do without this board. So many of us are suffering with similar physical ailments. This board offers us so much. Thanks again.
  8. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I have for years heard this type of hump described as a "widow's hump" but not sure why. I have it and it is a result of osteoarthritis as well as weight gain that makes it look worse.

Years ago when I first got fibro my initial pain was in my neck and right shoulder. Now I have all the trigger points that stay supper sore on my shoulders and neck. Sometimes I just wish someone would rub my shoulders but I am a little afraid of going to a massage therapist as I know one person who had more damage that way.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have the hump, and in my case it's due to degenerative disc disease at C-6 and C-7, which has eliminated the normal lordosis (curve) from my spine. Physical Therapy helped a lot, and I still do the exercises they taught me 3 X week.

It could also be due to silent fractures due to osteoporosis.

Cushing's Disease can also cause this problem, esp. if the lump feels fatty. It is especially likely to be Cushings, if you have a fat belly and skinny extremeties.

So, at a minimum, I would insist on:
    1) neck x-rays to see what your discs look like
    2) a DEXA scan for bone density
    3) a 24 hr. urine cortisol collection to test for Cushings.

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2008]
  10. chula61

chula61 New Member

thank you all for your replies. You have been very helpful. I have been checked for cushings and was told I don't have it. When I move my neck I can hear the grinding. Sleeping is very difficult. I'll check into your suggestions. Thanks again.