Can anyone explain Barometric Pressure?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladydi, Feb 7, 2003.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi all,

I think the barometric pressure has a lot to do with how
    I'm feeling on a day to day basis.

But, I can't understand how it works.

Thanks for any understanding.
    LadyDi/diane
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

A barometer measures air pressure: A "rising" barometer indicates increasing air pressure; a "falling" barometer indicates decreasing air pressure. As a very loose rule, a high-pressure area will be clear, and a low-pressure area will be cloudy and rainy.

Probably no help but thats all I got right now. Something to research though.

Janine
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When swimming on the bottom of the pool, we feel a discomfort in our ears. This is because the pressure of the water has increased on the outside of our bodies. The pressure inside our bodies has not had time to adjust. Human beings are very sensitive to pressure changes. Think about how your ears will "pop" when an aircraft descends. This is the same principle at work when divers get the bends from ascending too fast. It can cause gas bubbles inside the body.

Barometric pressure is just a measure of the ambient pressure in the atmosphere. It is affected by temperature and altitude. As warm and cold fronts pass through, the pressure changes. This can have a dramatic effect on us as our entire bodies have to adjust. This is why old timers with arthritis say they can tell when the weather is about to change. The fluid around their joints is trying to adjust to the pressure changes and causing pain in their inflamed joints.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie