Can Anyone Explain this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

We had a major cold front move in over the weekend, high winds, rain. I was miserable!

Okay, I understand the aches and pains, BUT I don't understand why I feel physically ill - so exhausted I cannot move, head in a cloud, barely able to walk from the fatigue.

Can anyone explain why I feel so terribly drained when the weather changes??

Again, I can understand the pain, but I cannot understand the horrible fatigue
  2. loto

loto Member

I've felt this way several times, almost feel like I have the flu, and don't even want to move from the couch.
    It will just suddenly hit me, and then the next day I'm back to "normal", whatever that is!!!

3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

There are 2 aspects of weather change that I am familiar with that may or may not apply to your situation.

1) Barometric pressure changes -- for centuries, folk wisdom has held that drops in air pressure tend to bring on "rheumatism," which can mean joint pain, muscle pain, or both. Sci research hasn't tended to support this, however, many people (myself included) have a pretty accurate internal barometer -- better than the TV weatherman.

I haven't yet figured out how to control the weather. Several yrs ago I ran across an engineer in FL who has designed (& sells) positive pressure chambers that can be used for self-treatment of low barometric pressure pain. If you've got a few spare thou, might want to ck it out.

2) As temperatures drop, the body's need for the active form of thyroid hormone (T3) increases. When free T3 is in short supply, the symptoms you mention are pretty common.

If you haven't had the specific thyroid test called "Free T3" run recently, that is something that can be done. If Free T3 is below ref range, or even in the lowest quartile of the ref range, an RX to increase levels of free T3 can often be helpful.

Note, the vast majority of MDs believe only one "thyroid" test is needed -- the TSH. Which, technically is a test for the level of a pituitary hormone, called thyroid stimulating hormone. In fibro sufferers, TSH isn't always an accurate & complete indicator of thyroid function, but that idea is not generally accepted by MDs, yet.

So you can ask for a fT3 test & be denied. In that case, you can look for a diff doc to order the test, or you can investigate self-ordering the test. Insurance doesn't pay on self-ordered tests, but if you have an MSA (med savings acct) sometimes you can get reimbursed from that.

There may be other reasons out there for what you experienced this weekend, but these are 2 that I'm familiar with.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2009]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Two generations ago, there were many infections that were uncurable and docs would say, get as much sunlight as you can.
    There are many "light therapy" products on the market, InfraRed, UV, red LED and Blue LED. Sunlight gives us all the colors. The heat from the sun is very hard on many infections.

InfraRed Saunas, esp long wave IR is great at working up sweat. Sweat is the "3rd kidney" of the body. Sweat can detox a long list of toxins and metals.

You can sweat in a bathtub of hot water too. Add some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate).

Sunlight also gets picked up by our eyes, of course, but this signals the pineal gland to make serotonin, the "I Feel Good" (James Brown) neurotransmitter. At night, it makes melatonin.

Bright light therapy might help on those cloudy days. Try it.
  5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Could the weather just be a coincidence? Here in CA we're having beautiful weather and I'm down with yet another flu after just going through what felt like 2 flus. My husband is mildly affected and some people at his work are sick with the flu too. This flu has a bad headache and horrible digestive pain and diarrhea.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Unless it happens everytime, and you feel better once the weather gets changes and you feel back to normal, you actually could have a touch of the flu.

Like Snooz, since I can remember, I've always been able to say, it's gonna rain, or a front is moving in. People would just look at me, until sure would happen.

I think sometimes with pain, comes fatigue. Our bodies are 'struggling" when it's "in trouble".
    You could also have been on overload and your body needs some downtime.
    Ever notice how when it's crappy out, most people like to be inside taking a nap. I don't know exactly why that is, but maybe we're the same?

I know that one days that you're having, when others are puttering around the house getting things done, I'm one the couch barely keeping my eyes open. You're not alone.
  7. honkifyoulovecfs

honkifyoulovecfs New Member

me 2,
    exhausted, achey body, fluish feeling due to weather change.
    I have an entertaining reply for you...see my posting i just put up.
  8. Spacey

Spacey Member

It the nature of the illness. I know this happens to me a lot and many others also. Spacey