can anyone help me identify this flowering tree Souhern Cal.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sleepyinlalaland, Apr 5, 2008.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

OK, this has become an obsession. This tree grows outside of my dad's apt. in Southern California (Upland). It is NOT a jacaranda (which is a magical haze of lavender and which ALSO blooms near him)but I can't figure out what the heck it is.

I love a Google challenge and this one has been driving me nuts. My first guess is that it was a lavender crepe myrtle tree and maybe that's still a possibility. Was surprised to see the variability of crape (crepe?) myrtle trees. But now, I'm not thinking that's not what it is. Currently these trees are about 25 feet high.

THANKS for all guesses!
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member, not a bouginvillia (sp?)this is definitely a tree.

I should pose this question on a gardening forum, but it always takes me so long to figure out how to post a photo! (which is relatively easy on this site)
  3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Are these flowers very aromatic? The leaves and flowers look alot like wisteria. But wisteria is not a tree. But it is a vine which will grow all over the nearset tree sometimes making it difficult to distinguish the tree from the vine. Could it also be a black locust tree?
  4. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Also, see my profile pic. This is my best guess.

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2008]
  5. sleepyinlalaland

it is not a jacaranda...pop also has jacaranda out his FRONT door and they are a whole different deal.

By the way, I too would hate to clean up after a jacaranda...they are WAY messy and actually a hazard when they pile up on a walkway because they are slippery! Dad lives in a seniors complex, so the poor gardeners can hardly keep up with the clean-up. But they are SO beautiful, being under one is an ethereal experience!

No, these trees are right outside of his back patio and not the same as the jacaranda. I will ask him to try to send me a close-up of the blossom. To me they appear tubular...almost look like pictures I've seen of the Chinese Empress tree (most are GIANT, but there is one kind a paulownia and this is the right size (20-30 ft). But the leaves on this tree (in photo) appear much more delicate.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member is beautiful.

Thanks for posting a pic of it.

7. bct

bct Active Member

I think this might be a Robinia species, one of the purple hybrids. Commonly known as Locust tree. Does the flower appear to be sweet-pea shaped? Are the seed pods bean-shaped? If so, it probably is a Robinia.

Whatever, I want it! Thanks for the pic.

8. sleepyinlalaland

I believe that is what it is! I kept wanting to define the blossoms as legume-like. I googled "Purple Robe" False Acacia under IMAGES and the first one to pop up looks EXACTLY like the tree in my photo. It must not be very common, because I got few returns on that search.

THANK YOU, thank you all. If I didn't have so much other NOT-fun stuff to do today, I wouldn't have obsessed over this distraction. No more excuses, gotta go through my horrible paper pile now.

Thanks again, I do get a thrill out of identifying that tree!
  9. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I love willow trees as well, but to sit under them you run the risk of a branch falling upon you, lol. I walk, stand and sit under them anyway, as I don't mind a little risk, ha ha.

Glad you found out the type of tree!