Can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debs4380, May 13, 2003.

1. debs4380

debs4380 New Member

I've been dealing with fibromyalgia for a long time. I'm pretty sure I have chronic fatigue too. Plus depression. I just feel so hopeless and sad. I'm only 23, but I'm so limited compared to the other people my age. I'm in so much pain sometimes. It's especially been bad in my hands and wrists to the point I can't always use them. I'm just looking for some help and advice. Most doctors either don't help or just drug me with strong pain killers. I don't want to live my life this way. Any advice on treatments or a good book to read would help. I just feel like no one understands my pain and I'd love to talk to someone who does.

Thanks
  2. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Hello there! I am very young too, only 25, and have had fibromyalgia for about 4 years now. My biggest problem, however, is getting a doctor to actually listen to me and believe that I actually do have pain. Most tell me that I'm too young to have fibro or that even if I do, I can't possibly have pain like I describe to them because I'm "just too young." You said doctors want to drug you with pain killers, but one of my problems is that I cannot find a doctor that will actually GIVE me anything for pain. They mostly want to hand out anti-depressants saying that will cure all my problems. Well, I've been taking anti-depressants for over 4 years, and even though they do help my mood, I still have pain and some fatigue from the fibro. I know it's really hard at our age to watch everyone else dancing and working-out and everything else, while we just cannot do this. Unfortunately there's no cure for fibro (of course) so the best thing to do is just try to deal with the symptoms of it, which includes the pain. If the pain killers are too strong, tell them to give you weaker ones maybe. I'm surprised at 23 that they even give you them, since like I said, at 25, I've been told I'm too young to receive meds for pain. I try stuff like heat and cold, whichever helps more, and do a lot of stretching as well. I did finally get some muscle relaxers and they do help a little. For now, that's the best I can do. Just try to keep a positive attitude and know that maybe one day, they'll actually find a cure. For now, just try to help your symptoms as much as possible. There is a myriad of information on the internet on fibromyalgia, I've been researching it for 4 years now since I first got diagnosed, and have at least started taking a few vitamins and supplements in the hopes that they'll help some. Well, take care and if you'd ever like to chat, I'd love to, as I don't find many other young people with this syndrome.
    Take care,
    Indigo (Sharon)
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Deb, welcome to our world. Keep reading, you will find a whole lot of help here on the board, plus do read the 'Home' page and the 'Library' page. Loads of information, and not all treatments are with meds.

I take mainly supplements and am feeling very well lately.

Just stopped to welcome you, and hope we will be hearing from your often.

Shalom, Shirl