Can anyone honestly say they are "pain free"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Everyone touts this cure or that or this drug or that but can anyone honestly say they are 100% free of pain even though at one time they were hurting for years?

2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

manwithfibro:
    I have what I call 'pain-free moments'. It is usually when I am well rested and all of the pain meds hit at one time.
    For a whole five minutes I will realize I am completely pain free--then, of course, it wears off. But I usually think: this is how most normal people feel and I wish I could be one of them. Other than that: I am never pain free.
    NyroFan
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

but I usually have some somewhere.

Sonya
  4. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

What do you attribute to being out of pain?
  5. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I have less pain than I used to; much less. But like a lot of us I think we build up a tolerance to pain and can block it out at times. It depends where the pain is determines on what I can do about it. It seems if it is more in my neck and that general region it is harder to cope with and "block" out. Don't know if I will ever be 100% pain free.
  6. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

Some days i am pain-free. maybe 3 out of 10 days something like that. 30% of the time.

most other days begin pain-free but pain starts creeping in around 3 - 4 o'clock.

7. elsa

elsa New Member

FM/CFS pain free right now ! That way about 40% of the time. ( Will still have sciatic nerve issues from time to time. Not associated with these illnesses.)

I think I'm on the right track, but not there yet. Fixing my sleep disorder, addressing adrenal gland wipe out and "feeding" my poor beat up muscles has started to pay off.

Remission is a viable possibility.....

Elsa
  8. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I can't honestly say that I'm pain free. I do have my pain undercontrol to a point that I atleast can function.

I take neurontin and cymbalta for pain and for neuropathy in my feet. For my FM I take Ultram and Mobic, so I'm much better with my FM taking those meds and the cymbalta has helped alot too.

But for my feet, well that's another story. I also take Lortab 7.5/500 for pain in my feet. I haven't found anything else to help, but the neurontin does help some. It really also has helped with relaxing my nerves in my legs so I sleep better.

My main goal is to be able to function at work, so I work very hard on that. When I am off work, I rest alot, don't do to much social stuff. Also when I am working, I really make sure I rest as much as possible.

I find that if I rest alot when I'm off, I'm better working for that week. I do neglect stuff around my home though because I'm sleeping so much when I'm here. I live alone so it hasn't been a problem sleeping so much.

Wish you luck on finding what works for you. I'm always looking for better ways to help me, but I'm on a very low budget because I don't make much money. I would love to go all natural on helping me and go to the chiro for pain, but I can't afford it.

I get my meds free from the drug company because of my income being so low. I hate takeing meds and hate having to rely on them to function, but you have to do what you can.

Take care,
    Karen
  9. thom

thom New Member

I have had constant pain for the past 7 years. Mostly in my arms, hands, lower back and hips. Lifting over 10 lbs, too much repetitive motion or climbing stairs makes it worse (8 out of 10). Normal is 4-6 out of 10. I take avinza 2 times a day plus soma when I need it. Massage helps and gentle chiropractic. Pain is worse in evening.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  10. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Is this like an acceptable level of pain -- like I'd be OK with level 4-5 of 10. Instead of 6-7 with spikes of screaming out loud 9.

Has anyone calculated how much it is costing at least financially to get us to the point of minimum pain. Have there been any calculations of what doctor's visits, drugs or accupuncture, herbs, massages & gym memberships cost for us? Just curious. I wasn't even adding in time, energy or costs of loved ones.
  11. splooofy

splooofy New Member

I wouldn't say that I am constantly in pain. What bothers me the most is the feeling like I have the flu. I am very sore and I ache all over. I guess it would be called fatigue. I have no ambition or desire to do things. Even laying around causes me to be sore. My mind wants to be active and do things but my body just won't let me. I use to be so active and it is so hard for me to resolve myself to doing very little. I try to have a positive mind set and I make myself do things but then I can't wait to get home and to get my comfy clothes on and veg....
    Splooofy
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't really "attribute" being out of pain to anything, although I could be wrong.

My fibro pain has always been mild, tender points feel like bruises, sometimes I feel them all day, sometimes only when I touch them (I know, DON'T touch them. Sometimes you can't help it. You do it to see if they are still there - vain hope!)

I have other muscle pains, burning, sore, etc. but it has never been very severe except the one burning pain in my shoulder muscle (trapezus - probably spelling that wrong).

At first I had achy pains in my ribs every day. Driving in semi heavy traffic in the morning ALWAYS brough these out. They have since subsided.

I mostly have pain in my back muscles down both sides of my spine, sometimes just in the lower back.

Now, having said that, I DO take some meds that are SUPPOSED to help with pain. I take 25mg of Elavil at night and I also take ProEnergy and ZMA with magnesium. I take triple strength (don't know the mg, sorry) of Chondrotin and Glucosamine (3 with dinner). I mention the G&C because although it is for your joints (worked wonders with my knees), when I stopped it for awhile I started having A LOT more pain.

No one here thought that it helped with muscle pain, even though alot of people here take it, but once I got back on it, I started feeling better. I don't know why it works on my muscle pain, but I am semi-convinced that it does and am not masochistic enough to want to experiment with it since I need it for my joints anyway. You know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! LOL

So the bottom line is that I started treating myself when I first started having pain (I was lucky and was dx quickly once the pain checked in) so it is possible that the reason that I have less severe pain is because of meds and suppliments. If I had waited, the pain may have become severe and harder to beat back. I do know that the pains have advanced in that I have them in more places and the shoulder muscle problem is daily lately and used to be once in awhile.

Sonya

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To expect to feel completely free of pain all the time with our illnesses. The Guai keeps my pain at an acceptable level unless I have a very strong flare or injure myself. If I dwell on it, I can identify low level pain somewhere in my body, but I don't do that. I'm sure if I were to load up on OTC pain meds, I could achieve being pain free most of the time. I just don't want the liver damage which goes along with constant use of these meds.

Most of the people I know who are healthy have pain from one thing or another. Their old sports injuries or OA is taking its toll.

Again, I just don't think being pain free all the time is realistic. If that is one's goal, one will constantly feel failure and frustration. I believe it's much better to be happy with a low enough pain level to allow one to lead a near normal life. Of course, everyone would love to be pain free, but when most "normals" don't even achieve it, it is probably not within our reach unless we use a lot of meds. If I take 800 mgs. of ibuprophen every six hours, I can be completely pain free as opposed to about a 3. It just isn't worth it. I need my liver.

Love, Mikie
  14. DVoit

DVoit New Member

Is this a RX? Why did you take it in the first place?

Donna
  15. DVoit

DVoit New Member

So, is yeast a big problem for us with FM? Tell me what to try to see if this is the problem.

Donna
  16. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I am 60 and sick most of the time. I would give my all my belongings to be able to say that I feel better. What is the best thing I can do for myself to help get better in your opinion?

Donna
  17. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

several posters mentioned that their pain was much more prominent in the PAST. I wonder if that is a pattern.

My real PAIN was much more acute during my 20's. Seems I always had some kind of pain situation and it moved around. Lots of bursitis, pleurisy, severe low-back pain, just weird and sudden inflamations. Also had childhood migraines, but they went away by age 20.

While I do still get occasional and inexplicable acute pain somewhere...most of the time I would describe myself as just extremely UNCOMFORTABLE. Tight and sometimes achey muscles. So uncomfortable that I sleep (or rather, LIE) on a patchwork of pillows at night, and the discomfort is unbearable otherwise.

I don't know if "dis-comfort" is pain. To me, pain is much more acute and "stabbing". Seldom get that anymore in my "old age" (near 60).

P.S. Once I attended a support group for FM. Most women were my age or older. When polled...ALL said that fatigue was a bigger issue than pain. Which is true for me.
  18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Well, I can say I am pain free, but I can't say it honestly!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  19. DVoit

DVoit New Member

This sounds like me. I always have a white film on my tongue and my daughter has said over the years that my breath smells "yeasty" as she puts it.

Is there a RX the doctor should give you for this or is the Threelac the only remedy? How long does the Threelac take to see if it is going to help you?

Again thanks,
    Donna
  20. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Can't way I was ever 100% free of pain, but I was so close to it when I was on the Zone and did pilates and used a treadmill daily. I know the diet is so very important... unfortunately I let a boyfriend, old now, get me out of the swing of the diet and exercise and now I am paying so much for it. I haven't had a good day since early in May. I am trying to slowly wean myself off the carbs I so desire daily and get back into pilates. Its hard and I have to make myself do it or I know I won't ever feel better. I've started getting migranes now too... going to the doctor Thursday.. hopefully I will get some new meds that will actually work.