Can Anyone Recommend a Good Tai Chi Book or DVD?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by LittleBluestem, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I took a Tai Chi class years ago and really liked it. I was still working then and was not able to keep it up. I have now forgotten how to do it. I would like to start again. I now live in a very rural area where there are no classes. Can anyone recommend a good book or DVD on Tai Chi?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Your post made me curious to look on the senior center schedule and find that two classes are offered there: a tai chi chair class for those who need to sit and a regular tai chi class. I didn't even realize this!!!!

Hope you get info you are looking for and maybe in the Fall, I may consider the tai chi chair class.
  3. LittleBluestem

It doesn't look like many here have used Tai Chi books or DVDs. I am glad to read that you found classes in your area. A class is definitely the best way to learn it, it that is available.

I did the standing Tai Chi and liked it because it is both very good for you and fun. Since you are moving all of the time, it has a dance-like quality. The chair Tai Chi would lack the dance-like quality, but would still have the good-for-you aspect. I hope you give it a try and let us know how you like it.
  4. sunrise777

sunrise777 New Member

Hi, Some years ago my sister gave me a set of VCR tapes and a book for Tai Chi. I really, really liked it, but you know how VHS tapes went by the wayside.
    Anyway I would assume they are available in DVD format now. The name of the instructor is Patrick Martin. It was published by a university in Arizona. I don't own the tapes or booklet anymore since I'm in the process of moving and threw them out. So IU so can't give you more info than that. But I would highly recommend him as in instructor. It's quite possible to learn Tai Chi via DVDs.
    Hope he's still around and you're able to find it. I might just have to order a new set for myself.
    Let me know if you find it ok?
    Thanks!

Angela
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2011]
  5. LADYBUG7788

LADYBUG7788 New Member

element -- tai chi for beginners i paid 7.95 for the dvd from borders
  6. LittleBluestem

Thanks for the information and the bump. There is (or was) a Borders in the same city as my physician. I am due to see her shortly, so I will check out the Borders while I am there. A more local bookstore might be able to order them for me, it they did not have them.
  7. LittleBluestem

I stopped by Barnes and Noble because I know that they have magazines and I wanted a particular one. I found a basic Tai Chi DVD with an instruction book for $10. I haven't had a chance to use the DVD yet. I did flip through the book and it looked pretty good. I'll provide a proper review after I have used it.