Can anyone Share there expirance with there ltd,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by buttercakes, Mar 28, 2008.

1. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Im seriously considering going out on disability. Has anyone
    delt with Jefferson or Lincoln as ther short or long term
    disability company? any info would be helpful. I hear Long term. can be almost impossible to get. thanks, Sandie
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi sandie,

i see you are fairly new, welcome to the board! i have alot of experience (none of it good!!) with another company, i hope yours is easier to deal with. its not as hard to GET as it is to KEEP! alot of pointers that can be the same for all:

1)Monitor EVERY word you say--a simple hello how are you can be a trick question, and when they seem to be your "friendly case worker" to get you to spill your guts--look out! answer only what you are asked, do not volunteer any extra info!

2) keep immaculate records of all documents you send and receive, and obtain copy of your employers summary plan description NOW.

3) get your docs on board, get copies of your med records and see what they say--if any are describing your symptoms as a mental illness (unless that is your illness), get ahold of doc and get it corrected. Keep a folder of all your records, test results, etc. even if you can't even keep your teeth brushed in the morning, keep these documents organized, this is top priority.

this is just a few for starters, look in search on top of board and you will find TONS of info--post me if you want to ask me any specifics, i think i deleted alot of my stuff. also make sure your online activity is anonymous, here and in any facebook, or whatever else people do nowadays--they can really get you with that stuff!

good luck--L
  3. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Thanks for your help, sounds difficult. My attorny said its harder to get ltd to pay than it is to get SSDI. Do you have any expirance with SSDI. Thanks sandie
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi sandie--

good advice from caledonia above.
    if you have everything in order for ltd, and all docs on board for ltd (and std, then when it comes time to file for ssdi (not til you have been out for awhile) then you may be able to get it on first try if you are lucky.

they are not "cut throat" like the insurance companies, but you still want to make sure everything is in order. for ssdi--check out "" they want proof that your disability will prevent ANY SUSTAINED GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT and this can include counting buttons at minimum wage as long as it can be sustained and regular (40 hrs/wk/yr) and you can make over $900/month at it.

doesn't matter if you had a $150,000/yr executive job now, if you can lay on your side and count those buttons on a SUSTAINED and regular basis (i am just using an example here) then you are employable.

so the standards are a little different, as alot of STD/LTD's start with your own occupation/2 yrs then go to the button counting after 2 yrs (i do not mean to insult any button counters out there, THIS IS AN EXAMPLE) so while you are getting std/ltd--keep this in mind.

good luck--L
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I always thought that SSA would determine whether I am disabled based on full time work, but they said that I can get gainful employment by working only part time.

I was surprised that they denied me because they felt that I could work part time!!!

Any other thoughts
  6. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

My nightmare company!!

I became unable to work 2 1/2 years ago . They paid me STD for 40 days then just STOPPED.

I had doctor's notes ...they mean nothing to them

I was approved for Social Security Disability May '07. I lost every appeal for LTD however.

I had a lawyer do all of my STD and LTD appeals and he now litigating.

I paid these people for many years out of every paycheck so I wouldn't have to worry. WRONG!

Good Luck with that bunch!

7. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Thanks for the feed back, thats just what I have heard from other sources, I read your profile and seen you are an RN. I am a dialysis Technition, my job is very physical
    and demanding, not to mention I start at 330 am and work untill 530 or 600pm. I only work 3 days a week, but on my days off I am exhusted and can barley get out of bed due to fibro pain and fatigue. I feel like they have me between a rock and a hard place, I cant make it without income.It is wrong that they can get away with this. Why bother paying for disability policies when you cant use them? thanks for the info,Sandie
  8. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I have CIGNA for LTD. They denied me on my first try. I had to get a lawyer who then had me do a bunch of testing to "prove" I am disabled like back to back exercise tests, neurocognitive tests, SPECT scans, etc.. I gather he thinks we will win on appeal. But I wouldn't have been able to even deal with it without the lawyer, so I suggest you get one. The short term plan for my work was through Matrix. They didn't give me too many problems, but when it ran out after a year, CIGNA denied me right away.
  9. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

That doesent surprise me with cigna, I have Cigna pos health plan and they are terrable. They denie most of the meds my doc has me on,even when he does a pre auth. Its just not right that they can take peoples money and get away with this. I hope everything works out for you. I have spoken with a few lawyers, they say there is no way to tell untill you try to use it. take care sandie
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have disability through the state of Illinois through the teacher retirement system. I had no problem with being approved.

However, I do sometimes worry as I do not have enough credits to get SSDI. I especially worry about the fact that I have two new doctors. While both said they feel that I qualify, I worry as someone else in the department fills out the disability forms, which fortunately are only about 2 and 1/2 pages with a lot of boxes check off.

What I used to do with my former doctor's who filled out the form was make an appointment and we would go over the form and it would be filled out then. I would supply an envelope with a stamp and address. I liked doing this as sometimes the doctor would come up with some good questions and feedback.

Hope things work out.

11. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

If the time has come to stop working, file for SSDI immediately if the LTD declines your payments. I would say start right away but if they do pay your LTD then they , not you, will pay for the Social Security Disability attorney.

Get a lawyer the day they deny your LTD, if they do. aybe you will be luckier than I was.

I had to cash in my retirement at quite a loss to hold me over the 9 months that it took me to get approved for SSDI.

I feel for you. They are very sneeky. They will sound so caring until they decide to deny (if they do). BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN SPEAKING TO THEM!

[This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]
  12. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Hello again Cindy,Thanks so much for answering my posts.
    Its such a risk to quit a good paying job with bennys.
    On my good days, I think, "Ill just have to suck it up",
    Than on my bad days, I think, "I just cant do this anymore"
    I know I have to make a decission soon. I have two great docs who would support me. Would you mind telling me what
    your illnesses are, that got you approved for SSDI?
    again thanks so much for answering my posts. Sandie
  13. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I know how scarey it is. I couldn't believe it when I didn't recover and had to stop working.

They never really told me what I got the SSDI for but the diagnosises listed were CFS, Fibromyalgia and panic disorder

I was denied the first go round but was approved in the reconsideration phase after they sent me to their mental health doctor (PHD).

So maybe I got it with the panic disorder that came at the same time as the CFS.

Doesn't matter to me why, just relieved I got it.

Maybe you will have better luck than I did with the LTD.

Just remember, they are recording EVERY word you say and take it out of context later. When you speak to either insurance company , speak or write as if it is your worse day...because you will have to work even on those bad days too.

Good luck to you.