Can anyone tell me if???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poohbearjenn71, Apr 16, 2003.

1. poohbearjenn71

poohbearjenn71 New Member

Ambien is covered by most insurance or not? I am at a loss here... I had went to the Doctor and he prescribed me Ambien for sleep and Celebrex for pain. Well when I went to get them filled they said my insurance doesn't cover Ambien so they called the dr and the next thing I knew I was going home with Amitriptyline? Where does a SLEEP aid and an Anti-depressant = same effect? When I called to let them know that the Amitriptyline was causing MAJOR headaches they switched me to Zoloft... Now I am going on 6 days with NO sleep.... I am calling in the morning... If I can remember!!! The fog is so heavy I can't find the front door.. :(
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

Ambien, I have Blue Cross. I've never heard of an insurance company not covering it. I wonder if for some reason they don't cover "any" sleeping pills. Because there are a lot more than just Ambien he could have prescribed, not anti-depressants. I tried the Amitriptyline for awhile and I could not tolerate it at all. It did not help me go to sleep at night but made me a walking zombie all day. Until you talk to your doctor, have you ever tried taking Benadryl to help you go to sleep? It really does seem to help a lot of people.

Dara
  3. poohbearjenn71

poohbearjenn71 New Member

Thanks for the info.... I will have to call again.. I have already called the doctor's office and they put this very short rude woman on the phone. I was taking Benadryl. 5 of them a night! They don't do anything for my sleep. Unfortunatley. I think I have built a tolorance to it from taking it so often.... I have been taking them nightly for about 3 years. No one has helped me with any of my problems until now and I don't feel this is really helping me..... Finding a doctor is very hard.... I am going to go insane before I find him or her... This is worse then finding your soul mate.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If your doc truly feels you need this med, he can contact the insurance company. You can do the same and find out how to file a grievance. You might find out if there is another drug which is comperable to Ambien which the insurance company will cover.

I have BC/BS HMO and I have a three-tiered Rx program. If a drug is not on their formulary, my co-pay is $50. If it's a brand name on the formulary, my co-pay is $30. If it is a generic on the formulary, my cop-pay is no more than $15. Many insurance companies are using this tiered setup.

Love, Mikie