Can anyone tell me what else to take for "FATIGUE"???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibro-Kel, May 22, 2006.

1. Fibro-Kel

Fibro-Kel New Member

Can anyone please tell me what else I could ask my "so called doctor", to put me on, for the "HORRIFIC FATIGUE"?
    I'm currently taking "Ritalin", and besides causing alot of headaches, it's just NOT working very well.

I'm "supposed" to start a "New Job" this wednesday, (working 7 days' a week!), and the fatigue is just Soooooo
    darn BAD! Between that and the "Pain" getting alot worse, I've got to get some "ideas", so I can tell the "so called doc". Oh yeah, "THERE IS NO INSURANCE"!!!

So whatever you suggest, has got to be CHEAP! It's so difficult, not having insurance. I think that's probably the "Main Reason" my doc, NEVER LISTENS to me! "JERK"!!!!!!

Oh, and "Please" say a prayer for me, (tomorrow) that for once, my doc actually "Listens" to me, and does something for a change to HELP ME!!!!!!!!

"Thanks Guys",
    "Love",
    Kel

2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Just read your bio and don't know if you have fibro or CFS or both. Sounds like CFS for sure though. Oh, and Fibro from your name. If you have CFS, you shouldn't take ritalin, that is a stimulant that will likely make you worse. If you take a medication that gives you bad side effects like headaches, then, you shouldn't take them. Also, the only thing for fatigue, I assume you mean post exertional malaise, is REST, big time. That's relatively cheap, no? Do you absolutely HAVE to work?

If you are looking for a Dr. to give you something that will make you feel better, your chances are quite small. Some people on this board have found well informed Dr.'s, but it sounds to me like they are quite rare. In any event, if you are going to a Dr. that you refer to as a "jerk", that doesn't sound like a therapeutic relationship, and you should try to find one who at least understands your predicament and listens to you.

There is a lot of information on this board, from people who have been suffering for a long time, and who have found many supplements that help them. Nursing is a very tough job. Take care. Marie
  3. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

If you have CFS you need to rest - you should definately not take stimulants and work 7 days a week. I've read plenty of literature that states if you rest early in your illness you have a better chance of recovery.

I know how much it sucks not being able to work. I have just had to quit my job which I loved, but its more important to try and get healthy instead of working yourself to death.

Take care
    Michelle
  4. Fibro-Kel

Fibro-Kel New Member

"Thanks for your reply and information". The message board has been such a "Big Help" for all of us!

I did want to let you know that I have BOTH FMS/CFS. I was diagnosed with CFS about 8 years ago, and I've done SO Much research during that time! (You have to stay "INFORMED", because most doctors' don't keep up with what's changed, ect...)

I wasn't looking for a "cure" for the "Fatigue", and I do know, that there IS medicine that you can take for the fatigue. "Ritalin" works the opposite in people with severe fatigue, than it does for people with A.D.D. And I would love to "FIND" another doctor, but with NO INSURANCE, (it's NOT that easy!)

And I realize that "REST" is the best thing for fatigue, however, NOT all of us can quit our jobs. (although there are many who DON'T have a choice). I have to work! I know it's going to be harder than hell on me, but I don't have a choice right now!

I got into the "nursing field", because I have such a "DEEP PASSION", for HELPING PEOPLE! ( I have NO patience for doctor's or nurses' who go into the "profession," as MONEY being their main reason!!!!!!!!)
    Hopefully, going back to work, (even if it is, 7-days'a week) will help me to keep PUSHING ON!!!
    "THANKS AGAIN" for your help!

"GOD Bless",
    Kel
  5. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

Hi Kel;

I'm new here, but I'll dive right in.

I took ritalin for 5 years, and it was quite frankly a life saver. Allowed me enough energy to finish school and work. Not perfect, and it did have side effects. But I need to work to survive, so that was my alternative.

Eventually the ritalin's effectiveness wore off, and I switched to Alertec - also called Modafinil. It is, from my understanding, a "relative" of ritalin, and works almost the same way. I didn't have quite as many side effects from it, but then the overall impact hasn't been quite as good. But it still allows me to work and live. So far I've been on it for about 3 years I think.

I do agree that rest, and a healthy lifestyle and more "natural" means will tackle CFS at its heart and offer a more long-term solution. But like you, I have no choice but to work. So for now, I'll take what I can get :)

For what it's worth, I've had FMS for 19 years, CFS for 17 years. And I am glad to have once again found this site !

Good luck,

Shannon L.
  6. lesspainplz

lesspainplz New Member

Hi ...I had the best Pain Mgt Dr. in the world..but since have moved.. However my old Pm dr. had me on Provigil. Without it ..for sure I would have slept all day. Since my move I'm still searching for someont to even medicate me.
    Appreciate to good ones ..for sure..

A newbie