can anyone tell me what "herxing" means?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Geechie, May 27, 2006.

1. Geechie

Geechie New Member

and is the term unique to this board?

If you know, can you tell me what it means?

TIA
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have fibro,don't completely know what it is.Linda
  3. Geechie

Geechie New Member

a new drug, very promising, and it seemed to make me worse. It seems as if this has been used here this expression "herxing", in association with "gets better before it gets worse"
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

"herxing," a slang term for the Jarisch-Herxheimer (J-H) reaction.

This reaction is an acute response thought to be caused by a sudden release of allergy-causing or toxic substances when certain organisms (most notably the spirochete that causes syphilis) are attacked with antibiotics.

A J-H reaction can include chills, fever, muscle pains, rapid heartbeat, and slight lowering of blood pressure during the first 24 hours of antibiotic therapy.

You can research more on this board and the internet.

Thanks,

Karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, when something attacks the pathogens, they get excited which elicits a response from the immune system. This usually feels like the flu or a cold. Once there is a huge killoff of pathogens, if they cannot be excreted rapidly enough, they turn toxic in the body and the body will purge them. This phase is marked by vomiting, profuse and smelly sweating, and/or diarrhea from hell.

I am The Herxing Queen (sung to Abba's "Dancing Queen" :) I've been sick with chronic infections for 15 years and just started treating them about 4 years ago. I continue pulsing the transfer factors about every 6 weeks, and every time, I Herx. This is a harsh way to go about it, but it is producing results. When one of my infections reactivates, I take ABX or AV's and they also cause Herxing.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie