CAN autoimunne disease be worsened by surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Dec 10, 2002.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

i have lo thyroid+ hashimotos disease. Can a surgery worsen this autoimmune disease? I am still looking for the reason my health took a terrible nose-dive after having my tail bone removed I could`nt swallow my pain meds (even crushed in applesauce) I was dehydrated and in terrible pain.
    after a trip to the emergency room and a bottle of fluid I was a litle more comfortable but the worse was yet to come. The pain never went away and the diagnosis "possible fibromyalgia. All from a surgery, my life was changed ,much for the worse. I am now on oxycontin,neurontin + klonopin for an assumed disease. Anyone have any ideas on this? I will continue to search for an answer as long as I live! I sure would appreciate any help I can get.
  2. clueless

clueless New Member

i have lo thyroid+ hashimotos disease. Can a surgery worsen this autoimmune disease? I am still looking for the reason my health took a terrible nose-dive after having my tail bone removed I could`nt swallow my pain meds (even crushed in applesauce) I was dehydrated and in terrible pain.
    after a trip to the emergency room and a bottle of fluid I was a litle more comfortable but the worse was yet to come. The pain never went away and the diagnosis "possible fibromyalgia. All from a surgery, my life was changed ,much for the worse. I am now on oxycontin,neurontin + klonopin for an assumed disease. Anyone have any ideas on this? I will continue to search for an answer as long as I live! I sure would appreciate any help I can get.
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have never heard of that.............can I ask why & how do they compensate for that? Implants?

I don't know about the surgery question, have not had to deal with that yet, probably the day is coming.

Jaci
  4. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I would say any autoimmune problem could be worsened by under going surgery..More recovery time..I am also interested in how they removed your tailbone & why..It's just that I never heard of that..
    Take Care........Donna
  5. tes

tes New Member

I had my appendix taken out when I was 7. Always complained growing up and then I had a c-section in 1998 and 2000 with the delieveries of my children. I had to say I have gone downhill after my second c-section. I also have developed many more symptoms in the past year. So, I guess it is safe and sad to say that surgery does play a big role in fm.