can dieting cause FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard if going on a severe diet, almost a starvation diet, kinda like anorexia, can cause FM and/or CFS? When I was young, about 17 years old I thought I was fat and went on a diet. I lost alot of weight,weighing about 80 pounds. My period stopped and my doctor told me if I didn't start to eat he would put me in the hospital. I started eating and gained most of my weight back. Now I am an average 45 year old woman 5'3" tall and weigh 110 pounds. I eat healthy and am on many supplements, but I just had a thought that maybe that loss of weight as well as nutitional loss could have been the start my FM/CFS today.Any thoughts? I have been diagnosed as having FM/CFS over 2 years ago.
    Debbie
  2. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard if going on a severe diet, almost a starvation diet, kinda like anorexia, can cause FM and/or CFS? When I was young, about 17 years old I thought I was fat and went on a diet. I lost alot of weight,weighing about 80 pounds. My period stopped and my doctor told me if I didn't start to eat he would put me in the hospital. I started eating and gained most of my weight back. Now I am an average 45 year old woman 5'3" tall and weigh 110 pounds. I eat healthy and am on many supplements, but I just had a thought that maybe that loss of weight as well as nutitional loss could have been the start my FM/CFS today.Any thoughts? I have been diagnosed as having FM/CFS over 2 years ago.
    Debbie
  3. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

It has been speculated that trauma-emotional or physical can trigger the start of this lovely syndrome. anorexia is extremely traumatic to your body.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have never heard of anyone getting FM from dieting, but you never know.

I have been thin all my life, and have not done any dieting, but I am a lousy eater.

I think mine came on after a bout with pneumonia, a lot of people seem to get it after an auto accident, a viral infection etc.

Others will share their experience with you, but I have not heard of the dieting.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which puts stress on the body can trigger it in suseptible individuals.

Love, Mikie
  6. JP

JP New Member

Hi Debbie,

There are some docs out there doing research that believe that eating disorders can cause a hypothalamic dysfunction leading to FM. You might want to search a bit. I believe that Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum has some studies that might interest you.

Take Care,
    Jan
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

One straw upon another, breaks the camels back. All Stressors add up, until that final one, comes along and topples the whole she-bang! Dieting is a stressor--Especially one as serious as that.
    Karen
  8. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

the book about Wilson's syndrome - I was really crash dieting for about a year when I got sick (only drank water & ate 1/2 sandwich a day) Dr Wilson mentioned this as a cause for Wilson's syndrome - My doc gave me the script for T3 reluctantly because you shouldn't take it w/heart problems & my holter monitor & ekg picked up some funky stuff - I ended up chickening out, scared of causing problems w/my heart (cfids is enough of a problem) Just a thought. Amy
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

in my case. Diet or Diet pills????? Have had a serious history with BOTH from an early age! Major eating disorders all of my adult life!
    Love,
    Kady