Can Diflucan eliminate a bacterial infection in your mouth?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isee, Mar 30, 2003.

1. isee

isee New Member

I just read the "toenail fungus and FM" post elsewhere on the board, and it seems that toenail fungus, athlete's foot, etc., might be signs of candida overload.

Several in that post said that Diflucan helped them heal the foot fungus, as well as other bacterial infections.

A dentist I saw last week said that I had an infection near the root of one of my upper molars. Since I had read that infections in our mouth might be major culprits in CFS onset or relapse, I decided to seek out a new dentist to investigate this possibility, since my regular dentist has insisted everything was fine.

This new dentist is now suggesting that my cognitive problems, like brain fog, are due to mercury poisoning from my 11 amalgam fillings. I'm considering removing them.

However, my intuition tells me that before I do that I should clear up any apparent infections in my mouth before I
    undertake the amalgam replacement.

Also, after he told me about the mercury poisoning, I did some research, and I found that people with mercury poisoning often have severe candidasis, because our bodies produce more candida to absorb the toxins from the mercury.
    Apparently, that can be why we may slowly get sick, i.e. get
    CFS, or just feel underpar, for years, until our immune symstems eventually collapse.

The proliferating candida may slow the effects of the mercury, but then cause other illnesses like toenail fungus, and gut problems.

So, here's what I'm thinking - if Diflucan is an antifungal and an antibiotic, maybe I can use it to eliminate both problems: tooth infection and toenail funus. In that way I can further reduce the burden on my immune system - and, possibly feel better - before the dentist does anything.

I'm interested in hearing what others think about this. And,
    I'd also like to know what success people have had with other antibiotics in dealing with root/tooth/gum infections.

Thanks for your responses.

Anna

2. KayL

KayL New Member

Diflucan is fluconazole. I got this from rxlist, it doesn't indicate that it has any effect on bacterial infections:

"What is fluconazole?
    • Fluconazole is an antifungal medication. It is like an antibiotic but is used to treat fungal infections.
    • Fluconazole is used to treat yeast infections of the mouth, throat, and esophagus; vaginal yeast infections; fungal urinary tract infections; pneumonia caused by yeast; and fungal infections throughout the whole body and in the blood. Fluconazole is also used to prevent fungal infections from occurring in people with suppressed immune systems such as cancer chemotherapy patients, organ transplant patients, and AIDS patients.
    • Fluconazole may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."

Karen
  3. kgg

kgg New Member

Did either dentist prescribe an antibiotic for the infection near the root?
  4. isee

isee New Member

No, it's my idea. The dentist probably will just propose a root canal or an extraction. I see him again in 2 wks.

I just thought that it might help to treat the infection with antibiotics before then. Years ago, I had an abscessed tooth, and my CFS flared, especially the cognitive part. When the dentist treated the abscess, my symptoms disappeared.

I thought this root infection might be a factor in my latest
    flare of CFS, which I've been dealing with now for 8 mos. Once again, the brain fog, memory stuff is the most debilitating.

I thought if Diflucan was an antibiotic, I could fix my tooth and toenail fungus simultaneously.

Since my acute onset of CFS in 1984, I've avoided antibiotics unless I was absolutely sure of an bacterial infection, such a bladder infection 3 years ago.

But, my intuition tells me that this infection in my tooth is an important factor in this recent relapse of CFS.

Between 1984 and now, I've had 3 relapses, each lasting about a year. I suspect that the burden on my immune system from infections in my teeth, gums, etc. have played a significant role in these relapses.

So, while I'm not keen on reckless use of antibiotics, I think they can be effective for specific bacterial infections.

Still, I'm wary, because I know the trouble they can stir up.

I do think the toenail fungus signals that my system is inundated with yeast or some other bacteria. I believe that it is a heavy burden on my immune system, as well.

I'm not quite sure how to put this all together, but my sense is that I need to address both: the fungus and the infection at the same time. Hence, the question about whether Diflucan is an antifungal that might also work as an antibiotic.
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

And also pain under a back tooth.

I have been taking Olive Leaf Extract for other reasons, and noticed that both have significantly cleared up.

OLE is good at destroying all bacterial growth. - Maybe it`s worth a try?

Love Pat.