Can doctors be held accountable for NONtreatment?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirbycat, Aug 28, 2006.

1. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

My internal medicine doctor sent me to Emory University Clinic, for diagnosis for possible MS. I saw the neurologist there and she said that she could not rule out MS but it didn't seem like it at this point.

She referred me to the rheumotologist, he diagnosised fibro/CFS, and put me on Neurontin. He sent me back to my internal medicine doctor for maintenance.

I ask her at that time, "do you feel comfortable treating fibro/CFS, she said yes" Well, everytime I went to her she only listened to the other problems BP etc. When I would talk to her about fibro/cfs, she said I was on the neurontin for that and that was all I needed.

My last visit, I was determined that she would address the fibro/csf and the pain involved. I made lists and took the info from this site printed out listing the meds that were beneficial for fibro/csf.

I gave them to her and she put them aside and told me that she would not treat my pain with narcartic medicines, not even rescue meds(when it gets so bad you would have to go to the hospital). NOTHING. I asked her if she had any other patients that had fibro/csf. She said no.

I asked her if she had read up on the newest developments on fibro/cfs, she said no, that all she knew about it, she learned in medical school. She said she didn't believe in it and it was depression and anxiety.

I nearly LOST it. I told her that all this time she had been MISTREATING me. She was not at all receptive to this attack on her treatment, said I was just upset. I fired her on the spot!!

Question, Can she be help liable for LACK of treatment and saying that she was comfortable treating something she was obviously NOT equiped to treat. I'm ready to SUE.

Pissed in Georgia,
    Cathy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  2. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Hey Kirbycat,

Sounds like you need an attorney to answer this one. Perhaps you could argue that it was negligance. I'm not sure, but it sure sounds like arrogance! Sorry you wasted so much time, money and energy!

Yours, Lil
  3. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

YOU DID YOUR DUE DILIGENCE, BY ASKING HER IF SHE FELT COMFORTABLE "TREATING" A PATIENT WITH THE DISORDER.

SHE ANSWERED IN THE AFFIRMATIVE.

BY DOING SO, SHE HAD ANSWERED, IN THE AFFIRMATIVE, THAT SHE FELT THAT IT WAS A TRUE DISEASE.

HOWEVER, THE ENTIRE TIME, SHE WAS LYING, AS SHE DIDN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE IT AS A DISEASE. SECONDLY, IF SHE HAS BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL FOR MORE THAN SIX MONTHS, THEN SHE IS NEGLIGENT, AS MANY THINGS HAVE BEEN UNCOVERED IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS, MUCH LESS YEARS, AND IF THE BITHC, EXCUSE MY FRENCH, HASN'T KEPT UP ON THAT, SINCE SHE HAD A PREDETERMINED PREJUDICE AGAINST IT, THEN SHE IS A NEGLIGENT DOCTOR, WHO HAS FAILED TO KEEP UP WITH THE LITERATURE.

AS FOR YOUR POSSIBILITIES, ALERT THE EMORY CLINIC AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WOULD NEVER, EVER HAVE CONTINUED SEEING HER, HAD SHE DIVULGED THE TRUTH TO YOU, WHICH SHE HAD AN AFFIRMATIVE DUTY TO DO, SINCE YOU POINT-BLANK ASKED, AND THAT SHE ENTICED YOU INTO SEEING HER UNDER FALSE PRETENSES, WHICH IS FRAUD.

SECONDLY, TELL THEM THAT SINCE SHE ADMITTED TO NEVER, EVER HAVING EXPLORED, READ, OR REVIEWED THE CURRENT LITERATURE ON FM/CFS, HAVING LEARNED EVERYTHING THAT SHE NEEDED TO KNOW IN MEDICAL SCHOOL, THAT SHE SHOULD BE REPORTED TO THE STATE BOARD OF MEDICINE FOR GA, AS SHE HAS FAILED TO MEET HER AFFIRMATIVE RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN CURRENT STANDARDS OF PRACTICE.

NOTIFY THE INSURANCE COMPANY THAT YOU FEEL THAT ALL HER FEES WERE PAID DUE TO HER FRAUD, AND THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT TO HAVE ALL THOSE FEES RETURNED, OR AN INVESTIGATION LAUNCHED AS TO HOW SHE ENTICED YOU TO CONTINUE SEEING HER THROUGH FRAUDULENTLY PRETENDING TO RECOGNIZE THE DISORDER, EVEN THOUGH SHE DENIED THE EXISTENCE OF IT, AND HOW CAN SHE DENY THE DIAGNOSIS, WHEN ONE OF THEIR RHEUMATOLOGISTS, IDENTIFIED AND DIAGNOSED IT?

EITHER THE RHEUMATOLOGIST IS A FRAUD, OR SHE IS. FORCE EMORY TO SAY EITHER OR. IT IS NOT GRAY. EITHER THEY SUPPORT THEIR RHEUMATOLOGIST, OR THEIR NEUROLOGIST, WHO IS ON SHAKEY GROUND.

THEN, FORCE EMORY TO MAKE THE BITCH TELL HER PATIENTS WITH FM, UP FRONT AND HONESTLY THAT SHE THINKS THAT THEY ARE PSCYCHOS AND ONLY NEED TO SEE A SHRINK.

WHEN YOU MENTION FRAUD, THEY WILL SHIT THEIR PANTS. BELIEVE ME. NONE OF THEM WANT INSURANCE OR MEDICAL BOARD PEOPLE LOOKING AT THEM.
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am so sorry you went throught this.I just spent 3 weeks in the hospital with such pain because my GP did not do anything to help with a servere stomach acid .I was swollen horrible and in really bad pain for three weeks he just did not care.Told me to go home and eat banana's and take med so I would stop throwing up.He did nothing about my pain.

I ended up in the hospital emergency at 4 in the morning.They thought I had a perfiateted ulcer it could have killed me.

I too am fileing complants about this NON Treatment.
    Good luck I understand .
    I use the military system.
  5. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

Thank you all for your good advice,
    I am also a nurse for 30yrs. I worked with this doctor in the hospital for several years. She seemed ok.
    but I am really upset that she did nothing and never bothered to tell me that she thought it was crap disease.
    I find her at fault and I suffered because of it.

I will notifiy my insurance company and maybe the board. It will be interesting to tell her director that I am notifing the board. I love to see doctors squirm.

Cathy
  6. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

7. jill_h

jill_h New Member

Oh geez.. I am going through the same thing..I have been to Emory and the rhumey I saw will treat the arthritis but not the fibro!!..Also sent me back to my PCP and she did the same thing...wonder if it is the same doc???? And am not having any luck in finding someone who will work with me..if I find anything I will let you know and vise versa please...Much luck anf huggs..

Jill
  8. SolitaryDancer

SolitaryDancer New Member

Dr. Michael Smitherman is a Rheumatologist in Roswell, GA. If you going to Emory then you are about 45 minutes away. He believes in Fibromyalgia and listens to his patients.

One word of caution. Remember when filing grievances that word does get around. Be very careful so as not to taint the mind of a future physician.

Deb