Can exhaustion trigger pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I volunteer at an animal shelter every saturday, and while I'm usually tired afterwards, it doesn't set me back too much. If anything, it helps a bit because it makes me happy to be around the animals--that kind of negates any pain I might get from it, though I try not to overdo it too often.

Anyway, yesterday I went and was there for about 5 hours. Not all of that time was spent doing heavy work (most of the work I do is cleaning the cages, but there's also dishes and mopping/sweeping, which aren't as hard on me); I didn't do any more than usual.

I've had a UTI for a little over a week now, and I finished the antibiotics on friday, but it started coming back again on Saturday, so after the animal shelter, I went to the hospital that was nearby, not wanting to wait until Monday to get seen by a doctor. I was only there for about 40 minutes, and then I went home.

That's all I did. But I was exhausted when I got home, and last night I was in so much pain it took forever to get to sleep. Today I'm in just as much pain, particularly my arms, which is weird, considering I didn't use them any more than usual. I know that this sort of thing fluctuates, but I've never had THIS much pain just from going to the animal shelter. And the pain I get when I overdo it there only lasts for the rest of that day.

Can exhaustion trigger pain in and of itself? I was out for longer than usual, but after the shelter I didn't do anything that could trigger pain. The only thing I can think of is that being out for 7 or so hours exhausted me to the point of causing more pain. Has this happened to anyone?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know that when my body is tired, my pain is always much worse. Sometimes though, it can be the chicken and egg thing - which comes first, maybe pain is coming in and then our body reacts with being tired or exhausted.
    Ever since I can remember (as a chid/teen)my body would ache like crazy if I didn't get enough sleep or as I said, if I was tired.

Sometimes I can find the relationship/correlation between what I've done and how I feel. Sometimes I can't. Sometimes there simply is no explanation. Sometimes being mentally exhausted causes my body more pain.

I wish I could offer a "for sure", but for me at least, many times I can't figure out why I feel the way I do.
  3. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Yet on the days where I have to push myself I may wake quite ok but eventually it catches up with me

As jana said there seems to no firm yes or NO

hang in there....

angel hugs

4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

exhaustion can trigger pain. When you are exhausted every part of your body works harder to keep going. One of the main things about FM is making sure you get enough rest so your body can regenerate itself. If I get exhausted it will definitely increase my pain.
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

in addition to the pain/exhaustion cycle (for me, I find that either will trigger the other) you did say you were at the hospital for about 40 minutes. That may be another cause of the additional pain.

The seats at the hospital are always bad and sitting in them can cause your back and neck to tighten up. There's also those bright flourescent lights that can also cause symptoms to aggravate.

I know you said only 40 minutes, but these things on top of the shelter work may have been what put you over your limits.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

6. kbak

kbak Member

Yes, yes, yes, exhaustion is a huge trigger for pain! I can do nothing all day but rest and if I don't get a good 5-6 hrs. of continuous sleep my pain doubles. Our bodies just don't have that reserves other people have, so it stresses your body which causes extra pain.

7. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I would say yes. IF I do too much, I will pay for it later. I will feel good in the morning and do all these things around the house and then by late afternoon, or supper time... I am hurting. Today we are having quite a bit of rain and I can feel the pain creeping up. We so need the rain, so I can't complain about that. I just don't like the pain that comes with it. One of the things I've had to learn is that just because I feel good, I can't jump in and go crazy doing things. I have to pace myself. Hang in there Dani..... You just have to do what makes you feel better and not hurt.
    Katie in rainy Oklahoma
  8. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Although my dr tells me that pain causes exhaustion. Which came first, the chicken or the egg??
  9. Jayna

Jayna New Member

not only because of the lights and the hard chairs, but from being stuck for 40 minutes in recycled air, surrounded by sick people, infectious germs, and all the harsh chemical cleaners they have to use to combat the germs brought by the sick people. All those things can make you more sensitive to everything in your body.

Even on a really good day, it takes me hours to get over having been in a hospital for half an hour.