Can Fibro cause severe swelling?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi, all. I have been gone for a while. Now I come back with a question. Here is what

happened: I was at a lecture and all of a sudden my legs got very swollen, then my chest and

throat, and I got a severe headache. I had difficulty breathing. I went to an allergist, and I

just got the allergist's report.

I am not allergic to anything except maybe I have a sensitivity to gluten. He said it was

stress. I am dumbfounded, as I was really happy at the time, and didn't feel under any

stress.I had been taking lots of notes and was enjoying the lecture very much. I had been

doing too much, though, for several months. Could Fibro or CFIDS cause such swelling? I

hope someone has an idea. I am at a loss. Thanks.
    Oh, I remembered, that I also have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and that is part of the cause of the severe stress response, also.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2010]
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I from what I've been does not cause cause swelling. My sed rate always runs high but I have not much visable swelling.

Except when I was taking Lyrica. Swelling doesn't happen with a panic attack. Well not that I'm aware of but what happened to you sounds scary and if it were me I'd be making an appointment with my PCP.

Take Care,
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

when they dont know what the heck we have they call it Stress!

it sounds like an allergic reaction to me, my Daughter had a few episoded when she was little and they never found out what caused it. it could be one of 100 things

i had one doc said that all my symptoms were in my head( yea!) then another dr said, sorry but your imagination dosent make you have swolled lymph nodes, fever, high sed rates, to name but a few.

sorry to rant, but that just &^%$@!# ticks me off!!!
    find another Dr that will listen.

LEFTYGG Member

Ive had swelling twice that caused me extreme pain. I couldnt walk. I had over worked for my sons reception so on Sunday slept to recover then my right leg and foot started swelling. it got so bad i had to crawl to bathroom and thats hard on knees.

I think all the hard work caused inflamation in leg and foot. ive been icing and taking tylenol for inflamation.

the first time this happened went to dr he said FM doesnt cause swelling sent me for sonigram on legs. showed nothing. this time knew it was FM related and wouldnt go. today I can put weight on it still hurts but tylenol has helped. love gail
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thank you all for your responses.

I did some research and, combined with what I found out on the written report I just received from the lab, and from information from the Internet, here is what I found out:

Sometimes, especially in people with autoimmune diseases, (Such as CFIDS/Fibro), hives are caused by stress. (I remember this happened to me once when my new puppy was at the vet's for 5 days, dying of Parvo). What happened to me this time, was something called Angioedema. I hope this helps you, LEFTYGG - please read on.

It is like internal hives, where the hives are not on the surface of the skin , but inside the body, causing swelling ( my ankles, legs, chest, throat and face were swollen, this time).

I compared the circumstances of this event with the two times it has happened to me in the past, and have come to the conclusion that this is what happened.

When I really looked at my situation, I realized that I was under situational stress and was also over extended, on those occasions. I also remembered that the bodies of people with auto-immune diseases are not able to handle stress well, and sometimes react in various ways.

Anyway, I'm armed with an inhaler and epi-pens, just in case it happens again. The Allergist did tell me to be careful, as this could be life-threatening.

I'm so glad you are all there. This message board has been a wonderful boon for me.

Bless you, Terry