Can FM cause your hands to hurt this bad?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sueliza, May 25, 2006.

1. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I went to the doctor a week or so ago because my hands and wrists hurt so badly. I have not had any swelling or redness, just pain.

I can't hold a newspaper up to read it, and my hands cramp up while I am driving. Just in the last couple of weeks my knuckles and the joints closest to the tips of my fingers have started really aching.

My dr did another test for RA (I have had it done 2 other times in the last 3 years) and also added the CRP. Both came back negative for RA. I haven't gotten the copy yet so I don't know the actual numbers.

She also did an xray of my hand and wrist and nothing shows on the xray.

In her opinion it is the fm causing tendonitis and carpal tunnel in my wrists and she never explained the hand pain.

Is this just the FM? How does fm affect the hands? Also, my hands are worse later in the day, not in the morning.

Does anyone else experience this? What have you found to help? Thank you all!

Sue
  2. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

my hands hurt so bad that in the night I cannot pull the doona up if I get uncovered hubby has to and to make it worse I am trying to get over a broken wrist so the pain is much worse I cannot hold a magazine to read that was just another xray I had also thought it was carpel tunnel but no its all fms
    linda
  3. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Absolutely! I have a lot of pain in my hands from time to time, and I have been looked at for RA and carpel tunnel syndrome and I was negative on both of those.

So I know that FM does cause pain in your hands. It is just another symptom of fibro.
  4. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I have trouble holding a pen or drive. Even holding the phone to my ear hurts. At night, I have to make sure my fingers are not curled when I go to sleep because if they are, I have to manually straighten them out when I wake up.

Im sorry you didnt get better news from us but I guess its this DD!

Suzette
  5. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I work full-time in accounting, so you can imagine how badly my hands hurt at night. Sometimes it's hard to change my younger son's diapers or make my kids PB&J sandwiches. (Folding socks from the laundry is darned near impossible.) I can't swallow pills, so my husband often has to crush my pills for me so I can take my medicine. :-(

My doc has told me that I have trigger points in my hands. They make the area around my thumbs and wrists hurt SO badly! The rest of my hands hurt too...undoubtedly there are others. I haven't learned the fine art of myofascial trigger point therapy yet, and my husband's hands hurt too much to try it. I do have a paraffin bath that helps somewhat, though. :)

This much I know - the pain meds don't help my hands much. Or my feet. :-(
  6. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I will have to look into the trigger points. I have been looking for someone in my area who understands fibro and trigger point, but I should research it myself.

I am sorry everyone is experiencing the same pain, but it does make me feel better that it is not another illness on top of the FM!

I have been doing stretches my dr gave me and they have helped my wrists, but not my hands.

Thanks again!

Sue
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I had that experience too. But I found the culprit, thank goodness. My hands were getting useless, I couldn't open my darn painkiller bottles, and they would keep me awake at night throbbing painfully. In my case, (and let me stress it could be anything else for you), it was a mould reaction, I'd went oo long w/out cleaning my Brita. That's all it took. It lasted around a week, and I think I have an idea of the agaony of severe RA sufferers that have their hands ruined from it.

I've had many other strong allergy symptoms that deferred pain or stranger symptoms to various parts of my body. You never know what allergy will do, and when it will do it. You can have been fine w/ the food or substance, and then, bam.

I do have sore hands most mornings, but it works itself out later, along w/ the rest of the stiffness and aches. That's how I know its regular FM. The fact that yours gets worse, leads me to think first of allergy. I was the same way before I finally discovered lactose intolerance, fine in the morning, and by noon, painful bloat woman, busting out of her clothes. That took many mths to figure out.

So that's the first place I'd look. Finding the culprit can be hard, but it sure is easy to clear if you find it.

Jeanne
  8. graydon

graydon New Member

My hands get the same way, no pain really to speak of in the morning, but I work as a writer so after a long day of typing I can really feel it. And at times my fingers will lock in the open position and it takes me a few moments to get them to close again. To help, I wear a wrist brace while typing. Although I'm using my fingers, restraining the wrist does seem to help. And then I usually run hot water over my hands and wrist in the evening once I'm done working if the pain is really bad.
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

FMS makes my hands & wrists weak & really painful - sometimes I can't use them. Only resting them & keeping warm seems to help.
  10. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My PCP did RA testing 3 times too. When the joints , especially wrists, got big joints he said OA. My "mouse arm and hand" are so painful.

Dr. said not to wear a splint. Sometimes in the morning, I put them under cold running water so I can't feel them. I do try Icy/Hot when pain it too bad. They don't hurt when in bed.

I write so badly --ashamed of it. Driving is difficult too. I do have a fuzzy wheel cover that feels a little better.

I eat so clumsy - sometimes miss my mouth too.

Good luck and try whatever works.

Gentle Hugs

Joan