can FM kill us

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynncats, Jun 27, 2009.

1. lynncats

lynncats New Member

In our local newspaper today, I was glancing thru the obits, and I noticed a young lady,43, that had died, the obit read "so, and so died peacefully June 24th, after struggling with Fibromyalgia since long before it was a commonly recognized disease. She wanted to communicate the impact it has had on so many lives. WOW, can this dd, kill us? Hope I don't sound morbid, I have found a few people in the obits, and had I not read them I would have never known they passed.

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

From what I understand its the toll taken on other organs. Like heart etc.

I wonder if she had CFS,also. Suicide is high also. My understanding is it shortens our lives by 25 yrs.

Not mrobid about reading obits. Only way I know too.

3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I have been so intensely tired lately, some nights I can barely walk. I've been wondering if I shouldn't work on a will myself. I have a few other problems aside from CFS and Fibro, but I don't know if there is anything in my body that would contribute to death. I did think I was going to die, or at the least, become completely bedridden, not long ago. Who knows. Maybe it's just the way I felt. Of course my blood tests all came back normal this time, and docs don't know (supposedly) what's wrong with me. My PA thinks the reason for my fatigue is psychiatric--bull----.
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

the worse thing i ever did was read the CFS/FM obituaries on a website years ago. i became preoccupied by the fact that i would die from it. it seems that most with CFS die from cancer, heart failure, or suicide.

the diseases are so new, we cannot even know if treatment would greatly lessen the likelihood of complications.

i have heard of more deaths from CFS than Fibro alone, though...
  5. my rheum. dr. told me first visit, "while fibro won't kill you, there are days you wish it would".

boy you can say that is for sure! I have alot of severe pain with mine unfortunately and exhaustion.
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I have both CFS and FMS now and they sure feel like they're killing me.

7. frickly

frickly New Member

There have been days when I thought I was going to die but I'm still here.
  8. lynncats

lynncats New Member

thanks for responding. I'm like alot of you, somedays we do feel like we are dying. Awful, awful DD.

PITATOO Member

I don't really think it has a direct high impact on life span. It causes depression and anxiety which produces cytokines that make a person more likely to get disease(s). It can cause in-activity and a high BMI which can shorten life span. People that are in chronic pain can have a shortened life span. It is so hard to say as it is just now being accepted; in some places; as a real disease; so the long term impact can be hard to determine. I know a lot of people with FMS and CFIDS that have IBS so they don't absorb vitamins that can makes us age quicker, also Candida is common in FMS and CFIDS which can have the same issues. I think if you are doing everything in your life to help this disease, nutrition, exercise(if possible), sleep etc. You expect a normal life span. Even disturbed sleep like we all have can have such a negative effect on general well being but I would hate to put a number of the number of years it takes of your life span
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I wonder what a normal life span is supposed to be for me. I am 69 years old and have had these diseases since I was 38. If it takes 25 years off of our lives am I supposed to be gone already? I don't think it does shorten our lives if we take care of ourselves the best we can. GB66
  11. ANGELEO728

ANGELEO728 New Member

is just this.... my mom HAD this dd and she struggled with it for over 15 years. She passed away in Feb of 2007. She had a massive heart attack unexpectedly. She was only 52 yo. The autopsy said heart attack. She had such severe pain and anxiety and depression because of the pain. I don't believe FM killed her but I do believe it destroyed her WILL to live and of course the pain meds did a number on her organs. We did have her organs donated because that is what she wanted. The only things that were of much use were her eyes and her long bones for the marrow. I have received a letter from a young woman stating that she was grateful for my family's unselfish act of donating my mom's organs. She received my mom's corneas and is thus able to see now. I know I kind of got off subject here. Sorry. But I have this dd too now and to be honest there are days that I just don't want to live with the pain anymore.That in itself is a horrible burden to bare.
  12. lynncats

lynncats New Member

so sorry to hear of your mothers passing. Your post is so true, sometimes the will to live is a struggle. God bless you and your family for honoring your mothers wishes and having her organs donated. Thanks to your mom, someone else is now seeing, that is truly a blessing. You take care and hopefully ONE day, they will have something to fix this DD.