Can I claim SS Disability if I havent worked for seven years?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. carebelle

    carebelle New Member

    I have only worked jobs here and there threw the years and when I got sick 7 years ago I had just lost a job because I missed to much work because of this Illness.

    Does anyone know if I can claim SS Disability if its been 7 years since I have been employed?

    I always thought I'd go back to work ,you know I thought I'd get well enought. Well 7 years later I am faceing the fact I will not be able to work things are just getting worse with my pain.

    My husband makes good money but we are getting older and if he got sick or something happen I would have no income.Does anyone know if I can claim SS disability now because of my Illness ?

    I do not want the stress of being alone and not haveing my own income to servive .Old age stinks when you have to be preparied to face the life changeing things before you want to.But Id rather know these things before hand.Ive mostly been a stay home mom I dont think I can claim SS for that ???????
  2. 69mach1

    69mach1 New Member

    go do it and don't waste anymore time...forgoodness sakes

    you may possibly qualify for ssi...but you will need to go to local office ssa that is..

  3. cct

    cct Member


    Your SSD monthly payment is based on the amount of dollars that you have contributed to Social Security. Also, there are some "time" requirements that you have to meet, but I cannot remember what those requirements are.
  4. sunflowergirl

    sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

    I'm turning 62 in Dec. so have filed for early retirement, however, I mentioned about not being able to work. I quit almost 3 years ago. You should have been getting papers from SS for the last 5 years or more that tells you how much you can collect. Even my daughter age 33 is getting them.

    She said she could put in for disability for me, but together we figured that there wasn't enough documented with doctors so I would probably be turned down.

    How old are you? What surprised me is she said I could get more money if I filed under my husband's SS. He is 65 and also filing. Apparently it is the law that women can receive l/2 the amount that the husband would receive.
  5. findmind

    findmind New Member

    It is vital you apply NOW: SSDI pays more money than SSI; it also pays more than retirement Soc. Sec. if you worked sporadically or not in awhile, I believe.

    Call 1-800-772-1213 and talk to a rep. there: ask if you have enough quarters to apply for disability. They'll either tell you right then or send you a form to fill out to send back, to tell you so.

    While just getting info, tell them you want to apply for it...but tell them as the last thing, so they don't just give you off to a person who takes an application.

    Get those records and drs names and addresses ready now. Look, there's a lot of great info on this site, I've typed a ton of it over the past year or so. Do a search, ok?

    I've heard there is a 5 year limit on filing since you last worked; however, there are exceptions to the rule, so after you're turned down 1-2 times and you appeal immediately, get a disability lawyer!

    It is a terrible process, but yes, you must think of the future and the fact that anything can happen -- good for you!

    Good luck, dear one.

  6. junter

    junter New Member

    What you need to do is see a lawyer who handles Social Security claims. As I understand it, 7 years is beyond what the government allows. I think you have to work during 3 of the last 5 years, or something similar. If you apply without an attorney, you probably will be denied. Almost everyone is denied the first time, but if you have an attorney help you file, at least you won't be making errors that will later prevent a successful appeal. junter

[ advertisement ]