Can I file for Disability if I am in School?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mnweb6, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Hi, I am new on this board, and I have begun by reading all of the wonderful posts. It makes me feel so much better realizing I am not alone in my struggles.

I am a single mom of 2 boys. I was diagnosed with FM a little over a year ago, but have been suffering with it for almost 16 years without a diagnosis. It has gotten considerably worse over the last year. When I first was diagnosed, I decided I was not going to let it take over my life. I enrolled in Cosmetology school in April, and am due to graduate in July or August this year. I have attempted to work part time, but it is just too much. I can only do one or the other. I got fired from my last job a week ago after having a horrible bout with FM. It has become so clear to me that I have to do something. All of my friends suggest that I file for Disability. Does anyone know if I can do that and continue to go to school? Even when I am not working making it to school is difficult all on its own.

I just want to make a life for myself and my kids!! Any help?????
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

think about as if you were at the ss office and looking at you and your papers. Its helpful to turn the situation upside down and look at it.

You are going to school and being a mother to 2 children. That takes a lot of umph. They are going to ask you why you arent able to work if you can do all that.

Why do you want to continue to go to school if you arent able to work.

Think about it like math. All the figures have to add up. Going to school that you say you are not able to use the education makes no sense and I would think the case worker would take that as a negative for you.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it is about the money you earn...sga amount and you can work while you file your claim...i had to do it myself i did what i could...and i did get approved on the inital claim....and if you lose your jobe because of your condition it was in your favor...

jodie

call you local attorney office and ask them
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I looked at your bio but there were not many clues there... LOL I know that in Canada we can go online and it is spelled out quite clearly what their expectations are. You are probably in the U.S. Is there an online site where you find out the answers to your questions? There probably is, and if there isn't, there should be, but that's a whole other hurdle isn't it? I'm sorry you're going through so much, and with children too. Sofy does make some very good points above. Think about what she said, too. Take care. Marie

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

There is a long posting on this site by jlh regarding SSDI. There is a lot of information on there. I think you should stay home and heal yourself my dear. Love, Marie
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

denies claims whenever possible. That is why you need an attorney.

You will just trigger an reflex if you apply now: She's well enough to go to school. Therefore she can work. DENIED.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My guess is that SS would be less inclined to grant disability for anyone who can go to shcool.

Love, Mikie
  8. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

an exercise in Wonderland logic. For instance, you shouldn't hold a part-time job while in process of filing claim, but CAN have part-time job while receiving benefits...at least up to a certain amount (technically $800, but I think the closer you get to it the more claim might be reviewed).

I was honest about my ability to work when I filed for S.S. I always stated I could probably hold part-time work but had history (I'm 59) of never being able to hold full-time job for over couple months without meltdown (illness, and/or disabling mental exhaustion).

I could not withstand the rigors of a full day of college, but would like to take a class or two. I'm not in a position to yet but would also like to know if it's acceptable to S.S.

P.S. I did manage to TECHNICALLY hold a full-time job for 2 years just prior to my filing for social security. It was very low-key position, was actually less than 40 hrs. a week. I missed more and more days until I couldn't work anymore. I only lasted as long as I did in desperate effort to keep house (which I ended up losing). I filed for S.S. never thinking I was eligible for SSDI (just SSI)because of my flaky-looking work history. I was 3 years into waiting for hearing when my attny. told me that those last 2 years qualified me for SSDI. Fluke-of-the-universe. (lucky)
  9. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

I start school last April. I was in denile about what FM was doing to me, and was unwilling to face it. I thought I could ignore it. I always wanted to be a cosmetologist, and the opportunity presented itself for me to go to school. I had just been fired for missing work due to being in the hospital with Pnemonia. I thought I would be able to get unemployment, and I wouldn't have to work while I was in school. Unfortunatley, I got denied unemployment, and it has been a struggle ever since. FM started getting worse. I lost my house, and moved in with friends. In October I tried working and going to school, and moved into a shelter. I started missing more and more of school. I took a leave of absence from school in November, and by Thanksgiving I had to quit my job. It was too much. I got another job in December, and thought it would work out. I started taking pain pills in October. I have missed so much school due to the pain. Then it started cutting into my work. I was very adgitated at work, and ended up getting fired on the 9th of February. I have barely been able to leave my house since then, and have taken another leave of absence from school. I just moved into my own apartment on the 6th. Now I don't know how I am going to pay any of the bills. I get child support, but not enough to pay the rent. I have paid almost 15,000 dollars for school, and if I drop out now, it will all be for nothing, and I will end up having to pay back 13,000 in student loans, with out an income to do so. I am supposed to graduate sometime in July or August. I just want to finish! My hope is that someday, FM will again live in the back ground, and I can live my life!!!
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

There is a posting on here from kholmes in which she gives a lot of detail about how she got SSDI. Marie