Can I get opinions on Fentynal pain patches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mildred623, Aug 30, 2006.

1. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I was wondering if anyone who has used the Fentynal pain patches could give me their input on them? I recently had to change doctors because mine left the clinic I go to . For about 7 or 8 yrs I have been taking Vicodan for pain. I was taking 2 pills 4 times a day and this helped alot and I am pretty much able to function. Well this past Monday I went and seen the new doctor and she refused to RX that much Vicodan for me. And started me on Fentynal patches. I am also allowed to take 1 Vicodan 4 times a day. I told her I was not comfortable with the patches and didnt want them, but was basically told this was my only choice or they could do nothing more for me. I filled the RX but they have been here for 3 days and I'm scared to try one. Could anyone that has used them give me an idea of side effects and how they made you feel? Maybe I'm overreacting to this but I just dont know. At times I'm not real committed to taking or using something on a regular basis unless I am in pain right then. I know with these once you start them there is no turning back you have to stay on a regular schedule with them or will go through some sort of withdrawl. Not sure if I can commit to doing that. Any input is appreciated.
  2. dolfenn43

dolfenn43 New Member

I was on methadone for yrs. But had to stop due to some kind of heart possible proble.

I was switched from that to fentanyl 75mg patches and morphine. I am very happy with the relief I get from the patches. It has been good for me. I dont feel sedated at all. Which is quite differetn from the methadone. I was very tired alot. And my family likes it much better as well. Seeinf me not looking under the inflance and having pain control.

Please trust your doctor. THey always under perscribe when mwking changes so dont worry about an overdose.

dolfenn
    please let me know what happens, I would like another opinion
  3. themoodyone

themoodyone New Member

Hi there :) I just wanted to give you my input on the Patches. I have been a Chronic Pain Patient for 8 years now and have tried everything. About 5 years ago, I was put on the 100mcg/hr patch, 2 of them, every 2 days. My pain level went down tremendously, and absolutely no side effects. The only problem I had was keeping them on my skin! You can call Janssen at 1-800-526-7766 and tell them that you would like to order the covers to keep them on. You have to use the Janssen NDC # 50-458-0036-05 or they won't give them to you. These covers are free and they ship them for free. They are wonderful and allow you to get the most use out of the patch. I use the Generic made by Mylan because they're much smaller and they don't have the jelly-like stuff inside of them and they are much easier. But in order to get the covers, you have to tell them that you use their brand name, Duragesic.
    Anyway, please do give them a try. They do help a lot. I have never had one side effect from them except when my doctor would drag her tail in getting my refill because after you start wearing them, you can't just stop or you will feel really bad because of withdrawl.
    On another note, if your Dr told you that you HAVE to use these or they won't treat you, I would run fast to another clinic!! They have no right to tell you that you must do anything!! You have rights! Please look at the Pain Patients Bill Of Rights!!
    Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Oh, also, I now have the Morphine Pump Implant and I am still currently on the Patches as well as a lot of Lortab and Somas every day. It's working, but it takes a while till we can get it to the correct dose :) I wish you good and pain free days!
    diane
  4. Maryfran7

Maryfran7 New Member

I would look for another Dr. as others stated. My experience with the patch was a nightmare. The Dr. said it was the lowest dose. I put it on and vomited all day, also was so out of it that I didn't have the sense to go to E.R. I live alone and when I look back on it, I'm thankful that I didn't die. It seemed like an overdose to me. I took the patch off and washed the area, even thought of cutting off my skin in that area. I was so messed up for about 3-4 days. Maybe the druggist gave me the wrong dosage or possibly the patch was defective. When my Dr. prescibed it and told me I would be pain free, I was so happy. The others had a good experience, you may also. Good luck
  5. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

Don't let that doc bully you into it. I'm shocked they would prefer to give you fentanyl over vicodin.

I used the patch a few days, and found it extremely sedating and there were side effects. Breathing was more shallow, I felt terrible on them. All drugged up, and mine were the 25 mg., lowest dose patch. I decided, like you, that I would rather be in control of WHEN I used pain meds. As in taking vicodin when I need them.

So follow your gut instincts, they are usually right.

RUN, don't walk, to another doctor!!

I had to go to a Pain Clinic, (GP MADE me go) and they prescribed the patch. (At another time, he had me try morphine timed-release capsules, which I really hated). When I went back I told him I could not tolerate the patch and I just wanted to go back to my GP and stay on vicodin. So that is what I got to do and I am much happier this way.

It won't hurt you to TRY the patch, though, if you want to. Just make sure you're not going to have to drive or anything. Wear it for a day or so and overnight, to see how you do. I didn't have a bit of trouble keeping the patch on, either. If you apply it correctly, it stays on just fine, even through showers.

It really does take away the pain but there are severe drawbacks to taking this long term. A friend of mine took it for 5 years and ended up with basically a frozen colon. She is still in a major world of hurt.

I just got up so kind of piece-mealed this reply together, sorry if it is rambling!!

Good luck to you. Oh, I have been taking vicodin for years with no problems. I take the one with the lower dose of tylenol in it.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  6. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

Thanks for all the information everyone.
    I did discover one thing today when I went to get my Vicoan refilled. The new RX she wrote me is for Vicodan ES 1 pill 4 times a day. I had thought she had wrote it for regular strenth Vicodan like I had been taking. I think I am going to try just taking the ES as RX'd for a few days and see how I feel. Then if that is not enough will go on and try the patches. I still am really scared and leary of trying them. But I do appreciate everyone's input.
  7. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I've been using the Sandoz patch 50 mcg for over a year now and find that they provide good, steady pain relief without the side effects of many other oral medications that I've tried. I change them every 24 hours and find that keeps me more comfortable. I also have breakthrough pain medication -we switc oxycodone for a few months and then Dilaudid for a few months.

I was quite apprehensive to try the patch, but found my fears were not warranted. The only thing I find invonvenient is that you are not supposed to go into a jacuzzi with it on. I used to wear the patch on my upper arm but when summer came, I switched it to my lower hip so that it wouldn't show. It has adhered well there and it doesn't irritate my skin as it did on other areas of my torso.

I like the idea that I don't have to remember to take medication because this is released slowly. Best of luck with your decision.
    Val
  8. purplepooh

purplepooh New Member

Fentanyl

Examples
    Fentanyl citrate oral transmucosal (Actiq)
    Fentanyl transdermal system (Duragesic)

Duragesic is available as a skin patch. The medicine is absorbed through the skin. The patch provides a steady release of medicine for 2 to 3 days. Patches are available that deliver 25 micrograms (mcg), 50 mcg, 75 mcg, and 100 mcg per hour.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently issued a public health advisory for the fentanyl skin patch. Use the fentanyl patch exactly as prescribed by your doctor. This is very important so that you do not get too much of the drug. If you get too much fentanyl in your system, you could have serious problems that can lead to death.

Fentanyl is also available as a small, grape-flavored cone on a stick that looks like a lollipop. The drug is quickly absorbed through the mucous membranes in your mouth, inside the cheek. Doses of 200, 400, 600, 800, 1200, and 1600 mcg are available for the treatment of breakthrough pain.

How It Works

Fentanyl acts upon specific receptors in your brain and spinal cord to decrease the feeling of pain and to reduce your emotional response to pain. The action of fentanyl is similar to other drugs in the morphine category (opioids).

Why It Is Used

Fentanyl is used to manage moderate to severe pain, usually in people who have chronic pain. Fentanyl is often used when your other pain medicines no longer work, when you prefer a patch instead of a pill, or when you have difficulty swallowing.

How Well It Works

Fentanyl has been shown to be safe and effective for treatment of moderate to severe cancer pain.1

Side Effects

Fentanyl has many side effects, including:

Drowsiness.
    Lightheadedness.
    Weakness and fatigue.
    Feelings of elation (euphoria).
    Dry mouth.
    Difficulty urinating.
    Difficulty breathing.
    Constipation, which may be severe.
    Talk with your doctor about using laxatives to prevent constipation.
    You can prevent constipation at home. Make sure you drink enough fluids. Most adults should drink between 8 and 10 glasses of water, noncaffeinated beverages, or fruit juice each day. Include fruits, vegetables, and fiber in your diet each day.
    Skin reactions, such as irritation, itching, or hives.
    Fentanyl should be used with caution by older adults and by people who have lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma.

Fentanyl can cause your body to expect this medicine daily (drug dependency) if it is used for longer than a week or so. Dependency is not the same as addiction, which is a behavioral disorder marked by craving a drug.

Reasons not to use fentanyl
    Fentanyl can cause serious or life-threatening respiratory problems (hypoventilation). For that reason it should not be used in:

The management of acute or postoperative pain, including outpatient surgeries.
    The management of pain that responds to other pain medicine.
    Doses greater than 25 mcg per hour at the beginning of opioid therapy.
    See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)

What To Think About

In some people, fentanyl impairs balance, coordination, or the ability to think. Do not drive or operate any type of equipment if you are taking fentanyl. If you develop severe side effects, call your doctor, and remove the patch from your skin or take the lollipop out of your mouth.

Do not drink alcohol or use other drugs while you are taking fentanyl.

Fentanyl can interact with many other drugs. Make sure that your doctor is aware of all the medicines you are taking.

Fentanyl should be used during pregnancy only if the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the fetus. Talk with your doctor before using fentanyl if you are or may be pregnant. This drug can pass through your body in breast milk and should not be used while you are breast-feeding.

When you remove your fentanyl patch, fold the adhesive ends in on each other, and flush it down the toilet. You may also dispose of any unused patches or lollipops by flushing them down the toilet.

Avoid the use of heat, such as a heating pad, electric blanket, hot tub, or sauna, while you are using a fentanyl patch. Heat can increase the amount of fentanyl released from the patch, increasing the risk of serious side effects.

i hope this helps.

Melissa
  9. lisagra

lisagra New Member

fentanyl patches now come in 12.5mcg vs. 25mcg.

the pain doc you are seeing wants to transition you to a longer acting pain med. my pain clinic has this same policy they do NOT prescribe short acting pain meds. that is their policy.

in the case of my clinic...they are working to improve the quality of life for their pain patients....believe me life is much easier worrying about your pain meds every 2-3 days vs. every 4 hours.

there are other long lasting pain med options besides the patch...oxycontin, methadone (as pain med).

the only downside to the patch is that your body does become used to it...and you may have to wean off of it when the day comes that you don't need pain meds anymore : )

good luck...the doc isn't mean or out to get you, she's just trying to help you : )
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]
  10. foggys

foggys New Member

my experience was awful too!
    it made me itch all over as if millions of ants were crawling all over me. then it made me nauseous and restless.

although i am very chemically sensitive. but my opinion is not to take pain meds unless you absolutely cant stand the pain anymore. they cause more damage than its worth!
  11. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

Hi, Just thought I'd put my two-pence worth in...

I replied to another post regarding this. if you serach for my posts you'll see the one that I mean....search by name not topic)

I have listed all the good things and bad things I have found over the years of usung Durogesic.

Hope it helps
  12. hurtin2much

hurtin2much New Member

I've just re-read some of the advice and a) wanted to ask for more info on the lollipops as I have never heard of these and

b)I'M SORRY BUT THE ADVICE OF THROWING THE PATCHES DOWN THE TOILET IS A NO NO IS MY BOOK!!!

Im not the world best recylcer but flushing plastic patches down a toilet??????? Not to mention the fact that even used patches still have some morfine on them, plus this was also given as a way to rid yourself of extra patches.

PLEASE DISPOSE OF PATCHES IN THE BIN...NOT DOWN THE TOILET!
    AND SPARE PATCHES SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE PHARMACY, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER OLD OR NOT NEEDED MEDICATION
  13. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I had kind of wondered about flushing them also. Doesnt seem to be a good idea on you plumbing. I did read the booklet that comes with the patches though and this is exactly what they recommend to do with them is flush them.
  14. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

My husband was instructed also to flush the patch. This was to prevent another person or pet from coming in contact with the patch since it could still contain enough medication to do harm to others.

Either way is probably not environmentally correct but the safest way to dispose of the medication.
  15. meowee

meowee New Member

I just posted about this last week. I was prescribed duragesic and I love them. They have really helped my pain. If anything is needed on the side, I have percocet 5 mg.

GOOD LUCK.. give them a try. I think you will be pleased