Can I get some straight facts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Doc prescribes Ambien. Doc says its NON ADDICTIVE, safe to use long term with few side effects.
    prescription company tell my VP the reason they cant mail order this drug anymore is that its so dangerous and addictive it can only be bought IN Person, at a PHArMACY where those little spy cams can watch which sleep deprived lunatic is brave enough to demand them.
    So which is it?
    Life saving fun drug that lets you sleep?
    or
    Addictive fun loving drug that lets you sleep?
    I took mine 2 hours ago as you may be able to tell from my chatty tone
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

I still cant stop laughing and answer a serious question ...but I will try

OK..I get my ambien in the mail from our Rx plan at work - Caremark. I do not have to sign for it or anything. On the other hand, I have to sign for my daughter's Adderal..but even that comes in the mail.

Took my ambien about an hour ago and I am still sitting here too!

jmq
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

the things that come out on this board
    NYS law changed because they want to protect us from our meds. Our doctors are obviously so irrepsonsible that they lost all know how to prescribe and the postal people are so naughty they might "misdeliver" our fun meds to someplace and we'd never see them...oh what a sordid world NY is.
    I was ready to scream when I saw you get in mail order. You know jmq my doc did as he was told, he wrote for 90 days w/ 6 refills. I took it, as instructed by office, to pharmacy because they arrnged for me to get it for $10--pharmacist laughed so hard he alsmot peed and asked me for $280 after he finished speaking to the insurance company.
    I have to go back a 4th time to doc and ask for another script, the 4th, to get monthly pills only. Or I could fill the 90 days and not eat for the next month...what a choice...sleep, eat, sleep, eat...i dunno
  4. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

State regulations may vary but in terms of the drug itself, it isn't addictive nor do most people develop tolerance (i.e. need higher doses over time). There are some warnings regarding people doing things and forgetting what they did with Ambien. Search "ambien" on this site for details.
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Ask the pharmacy why they can't work off the original (90-day) prescription but only sell you one month's worth at a time.

Mine will. We changed from an insurance with the mail-order plan to one without, and I was able to transfer the remainder of the mail-order (90-day) prescription to a local pharmacy for in-person pickup. They didn't have any problem filling it for 30 days at a time and billing the insurance accordingly.

Best wishes,
    Janelle

6. irishprincess

irishprincess New Member

To didoe you could also be like my mom always was, if you gave her a sleeping pill she would walk the floor.Not all sleep aids promote sleep for everyone.
    irish
  7. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I think it is bad for us to become dependent on sleep aids. I was reading the other day about a new theory as to a new possible cause of hypoxia (low blood O2). The theory goes that anything (I think) that we take to make us sleep, including medicines like Xanex, affect the central nervous system (CNS) in a way that causes us to forget how to breathe properly, sometimes even while we are awake!

I think that I may have a problem in this area (hypoxia), and I am trying not to take any sedatives/sleep aids before I go to bed.

I know that it is easy to tell someone not to take sleep aids when you don't have a problem with sleeping, but I have in the past, struggled myself with going to sleep, and staying asleep long enough.

I find that since I am retired I just go with what my mind and body want. If I sleep for 5 hours per night, and nap for 3 hours/day, well that's fine. I pay no attention to everyone else's circadian rhythm. I have my own and it is unique unto me. Everyone dooze :} I worked swing shift for many years and it really done a job on my circadian sleep rhythm.

I just always remember the old cliché "take pills to wake up and take pills to go to sleep". I don't do either. I take pills to reduce my pain and headaches. (Gee aren't I a saint (NOT) lol)

I sure hope you find a way to get more, better sleep however you do it.

Andy
  8. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I have no idea why..but I leave the tv on when I sleep and sleep thru the night. No drugs either.....

I limit my caffene as well. also use a dental night guard for sleep apena,works like a charm....and no more snoring like a bear in winter.

I tried the drugs and they dont do crap.....

good luck

wf2
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

If I may be blunt -- obviously Ambien is not the sleeping pill for you, if after two hours you are still awake.

I am one of those people who can not take sleeping pills -- none of them work. I have found however that muscle relaxants work much better.

If I may ask how long have you been taking Ambien?

The best way to take a sleeping pill is to take is at your bedside and lay down immediately -- if you have tried this I apologize for stating the obvious :)

My suggestion is to speak with your physician about a different sleep medication.

Ambien is one of many medications that has been in the news recently with stronger warnings.

Just do a search here or Google and you can read all of the warnings -- it [Ambien] can be a very dangerous drug for the very reason you mention.

Best of luck to you,

Karen :)