Can I have a mild case of Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by violin4j, Aug 21, 2013.

1. violin4j

violin4j Member

I went to my chiropractor after work yesterday morning for back/neck pain and she said my body was essentially in alignment, and my pain was likely due to a fibro flare up. I haven't been diagnosed with fibro, although I've been warned that my chronic pain issues could have me end up there, so now I'm wondering if I should pursue addressing the case head on. My chiropractor said I exhibit many of the classic signs, but today was the first day she said "fibro flare up" and it triggered a fear I've had ever since I'd been warned last year by a previous chiropractor. Can I have a mild case now and not know it?

I know I need to address the chronic pain/sleep problems, and up to this point I thought I was managing well with regular chiropractic & massage, exercising when I could, and taking a zillion supplements while limiting medications (both OTC & prescription) for pain or sleep. Lately Benadryl has not helped much with sleep, and I've tried to wean off Motrin with no success. The non-pharmacological methods don't work too well for sleep due to my full-time night shift schedule, and I'm wondering if a sleep study would be worthwhile (I wake up multiple times a day and have difficulty falling asleep unless I'm exhausted).

I have friends who have fibro, and all of them seem so much more severely affected than I do with my symptoms. Yeah, I sleep poorly, but use mild medication to help, and I'm night shift so I have an excuse. Yeah, I have chronic pain, but I ignore it to do the things I want to do, or pop Motrin or a muscle relaxer when it gets too bad to function. Yeah, I'm fatigued 90% of the time, but I just drink some tea and press on, letting adrenaline carry me through instead of just stopping and saying I'm too tired. Yeah, I'm hypersensitive to touch, but I stretch and use heat, massage, and electric stim to reduce the reactions.

Now I'm wondering if not really addressing the situation is going to make it worse, or perhaps I have fibro and it's just a mild case. Ideally I'd like to get off all medications and just address it with diet, exercise, and alternative therapies. I know night shift is exacerbating the problem, but at this point I have to work it for a variety of reasons, and it's not a permanent career decision - eventually I will go back to a normal schedule in a few years when I have kids. I certainly can do more light exercise and other treatments, but I haven't done so over the past few months because the pain/insomnia has been less, and just flared up over the last two weeks. Maybe the flare up is an indication that ignoring it is maybe not a good idea?

Thoughts and recommendations would be helpful. I am just starting to look into this. I'm really scared to end up like some of my friends who are debilitated by this condition. I have serious plans for the future and I don't want some crummy condition to hinder me from enjoying my life.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Violin I have ME/CFIDS so don't know enough about fibro but what I do know is that when I started being more attentive to the signals of my body and pacing more, though yes my life has become very limited I am no longer in pain 24/7. I don't have to take meds and I'm in a better state of mind being able to stay happy most of the time. Now I am able to enjoy the enjoyable. Ignoring my symptoms to me leads to a stage where no longer it only is a physical thing but I also no longer can keep my mindset ok. And to me my mindset is most important. Generally anyone who is exhausted will become emotionally unstable. That has nothing to do with being mentally unstable but just with not respecting the limits and boundaries of the body. They say that muscle fluids in a person with ME are the same as a marathon runner that just finished a marathon, except for us it is ALL the time. What I heard of CFS/ME the first two years are crucial. Those who take a whole lot of rest have bigger chances of recovery then those who press on. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that and in the first ten years kept pressing on to find a way that would fit to make my own living and stay in the working world and following treatments to push myself to stay there. It did a LOT of harm and I was in pain 24/7 no longer able to even hold a pencil or walk around normally. I can't judge what is the right way for you, I don't know. But please do be careful not to do more damage then good. It is hard to accept limitations, very hard, but it is even harder not to accept them and to me starting to accept them has made all the difference and I'm still learning every day.
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I supposedly have the FM issue from what was an Emotional Trauma in 1999, my body went into a total concrete block feeling....I was 61.... I was not really bad with the FM stuff.

Now at 75 and a mess from hip replacement and advancing OA, I don't know how much is FM or OA or what....

Do you know what brought it on for you?

I believe thyroid is critical with all the FM dx's....and many do not get thyroid support as their MD's say they are normal, I know that one...for a long 10 yrs....

So, it's all so difficult to know. I take tons of supps and no drugs for the FM issues....

But I also deal with advancing OA. Acupuncture does help me as does Mesotherapy injections from my integrative rheumy.... jam
  4. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

PS: I've been sleeping good but in recent weeks waking up at 3-4AM with shoulder/arm pain. I had shoulder injuries so that's a factor I know. I'm looking into cannibus lozenges for the 4AM pain.

My sleep cure is in the alternative area of this forum. jam
  5. Darrae

Darrae Member

Violin,

FYI,

My chiropractor was the first to suggest Fibromyalgia when I just didn't seem to get any better after a horrific car accident. Hypothyroidism is associated with many autoimmune conditions. Fibromyalgia is no exception to the rule. When I was diagnosed 18 years ago, I already had all 18 points doctors test. At that time, they told me it was not a progressive condition. According to a study I read from the Mayo clinic site, they say it is. I believe it is. I had surgery a year and a half ago and my symptoms have worsened since that "new" trauma. See a Rheumatologist if you haven't already. Tell them what you suspect you may have and have them check those points. Having 11 of the 18 tender points, all over body pain, and sleep disturbances are enough to confirm diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

Darrae