Can I put the Tens Machine anywhere near face Prickles?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Feb 14, 2007.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Good morning to all and Happy Valentine's Day to everyone of you~~~

If your around Prickles, I would appreciate any help you can give me about my Tens Machine and putting it anywhere near my face or somewhere near it to help with the pain after I had my oral surgery done two days ago?

I don't want to take alot MORE pain meds, so I was wondering if the tens machine would help take down some of the swelling and also to help with the pain a little?/!!

This surgery was pretty major and theres alot of swelling all the way up to the eye area and outer cheek area, which I'm using ice for, and of course pain meds. But this is now going on day 3 and its still very painful and swollen.

I couldn't find any information in my booklet that came with the machine on whether I could use it near the face area or not. So if you or anyone else have any answers or help, I would greatly appreciate it. As stupid as this may sound, I'm just about at my wits end as other options, and really don't want to take anymore medication than necessary!

Or is there anything else I can do that might help?

Thank you to anyone who might have any suggestions for me~
    Have a very sparkling day and do enjoy it to the fullest~
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I don't like the sensation of it on my face. I tried it for tmj pain. It made my mouth twitch and spasm even on a very low setting.

I know you are asking about facial pain butI believe there is a warning in the booklet that came with mine to avoid putting it on the throat because it can cause breathing problems, esophogeal spasms etc.
  3. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I only wish I could be taking some anti-inflammatories, but I can't take anything that has anything in it that will cause more bleeding. But I pray if I could take even an aspirin I would, as that sometimes helps more than any narcotic medication could!!

You all are so right about it probably causing more pain and spasms in the nerve endings by using the tens machine. I'm sooo sorry I hadn't thought of that myself! But seeing I'm so new with using the machine anyway, I just thought it might do something, seeing I am starting to get some relief from using the tens afterall.

I do believe it can work very well for many of us, especially if you have those awful painful arms, hands, shoulders, upper back and neck areas, where it does work well. The more I'm using it the better I'm beginning to feel. And seeing its the smaller one, I can use it alot more and feel more comfortable with it on me.

Oh well, it was just a thought about using it, but I do appreciate all of your input and help with this...seeing I really don't want to start having any electrical shocks going through me along with what I already have going on, which isn't a happy situation right now! LOL!!

Thank you all,
    Sparkle and shine this beautiful day,
    Shelby
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I would most definitely ask your doctor!!!!

If it were me, I would never put a TENS unit near or on my face. I would also not put on back of my neck--it would have to be on top of my shoulders.

I purchased a small vibrator one time and the doc told me not to get it too close to my hairline in the back because it could jar the nerves leading up to my brain!!!