Can I share my story about giving too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Dec 18, 2005.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

When I was in my 40's I went through a divorce.For the first time in my life I was going to be on my own,depending on my own resources for the quality of life I would have.I worked for a design company.I could not believe the jealousy between the women there.One of the women in the office Marie had a nine year old child that had cancer.My heart went out to her.My daughter had an illness when she was 18,so i know what she was going through.At Christmas all employees were to get a Christmas bonus.I swore the secretary to secracy,I took half my bonus and put it in an envelope for Marie, with the sick child.For days i heard all of the most disgusting talk among the rest of the employees.Each person just knew someone else that deserved it so much more. i sat in complete awe as they talked about this rich old woman that they knew must have been the ONE that had given the money.I never told a soul.They had heard about the gift but not the giver. The secretary had kept her promise to keep it a secret.A few weeks ago a friend of mine needed me to pick up an item for him at a gas station.I walked in, and there stood Marie as the cashier.She didn't remember working with me.Then I asked her if she remembered getting a gift of money from a secret giver that worked with her, one christmas.She began to cry and as tears streamed down her cheeks, her body began to shake,she said"It was you" she was noticeably excited. She got her composure and then began to speak.She said"Let me tell you what I've done every Christmas since that one".She told how she picks a family every year and gives to them but it is always kept a secret. She said it brings her such joy and she rememebers how she felt that Christmas she had so much need.I now call this my own play it forward story.Both our daughters are in remission and still living today.God bless you all.
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

That is a GREAT story of giving and sharing. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

and it brought me to tears.

God bless you, Marie and both your daughters.

Pepper
  4. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

how heartwarming that story is!!

love that kind of stuff! and thanks for it.

of late, i seem to be 'bumping' into new acquaintances or the older acquaintances. and in the past week i've been so disgusted with the way some people think and act.

then i remember it's Christmas, etc. but it's then that i give myself a pat on the back for being half sane!!! ha! and the few people of late i speak of don't even battle fibro!! :) CHEERS!
  5. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

And how cool and unusual that someone kept the secret for you!

Thanks for sharing this - it reminds you that the human race is not so bad after all!
  6. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

And how cool and unusual that someone kept the secret for you!

Thanks for sharing this - it reminds you that the human race is not so bad after all!
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the beautiful inspiring story!! Actually I have given anonymously many times. I have a Jewish friend who told me that is one of the greatest things we can do, to give when there will be no one else knowing - I forgot what it is called...

It is a blessing to be able to give.

I honestly feel God puts situations in front of us to act on.

God bless you and have a wonderful holiday season.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2005]
  8. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Thank you for your wonderful story of how a "secret gift" recipient of yours has managed to "pay it forward"! That really is fantastic.

Several years ago, a friend of mine (who has very little money, herself, and loads of medical problems) deposited $100.00 in a financially-troubled co-worker's bank account without the co-worker knowing who'd done it.

My friend's action inspired us, so this year my husband and I (anonymously) deposited $300.00 in our generous friend's gas heating account. We figured one good deed deserved another.

Janice