Can I take Mirapex with Muscle relaxers?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Nov 23, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Have horrible muscle pain ( constantly) and I take zanaflex 2x a day.

I just got Mirapex and have been afraid to try it, but decided tonight I would.

My queston though is can I take both? maybe a couple hours apart?

My rhumey didn't know for sure, pharmacist wasn't sure, drug interaction is different than side effect's listed on info packet.

I want real life experience info.

I'm afraid if I just take Mirapex, my muscles will stay tight and keep me awake. I have been waking up at about 3:eek:oam so tight, I get migraines and dizziness.

I am not sure what to do.

By the way I have a low tolerance for med's so I was going to cut Mirapex in half.

I also heard it can cause upset stomach and vomiting.

I also have bad headache from cooking today so I have taken 1 Lortab.

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

I know I asked this before but am looking for a bit more details, like if you take med's at the same time, do you have a low tolerance and do yountake it at night or in the day? Does it make you sick, etc.
    claudia
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Already tried that, they weren't sure, neither was my doctor.

Hoping someone here may know.

I get better info here most of the time, since we are the ones acutally taking all these meds.:)

Thanks anyway,
    claudia
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

It is sad when the doctor and pharmacist can't tell me anything.

The drugs dot com doesn't list interacton, but reading insert on both, they both cause dizziness, drop in b.p. ( mine is low), and vomiting, etc.

I am very senstiive and was hoping for personal experiences,I think they're better than what pharmacist or doc"s have to say anyway.Real life is different.:)

Anyway, I will just take a low dose while my husband is home, in case.

Thanks for trying to help.:)

Claudia
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am so happy to report that you got lucky this time and there are no listed interactions with the three prescriptions you mentioned in this thread.

It might be wise not take any new medications unless you are absolutely sure there is no reactions (I am sure you know this) you might not get so lucky next time -- I mean no offence just caution :)

I would not use this pharmacist again -- pharmacology is a specialty and for a pharmacist not to follow through on this and find this information for you is very unprofessional -- in my opinion -- and very risky to your health.

As for the physician -- all he/she had to do was enter into a simple interaction checker and they would have had the information for you in a matter of less than 2 minutes...that is what I did with the meds you listed...

Here is a site for you to save in your favorites list and to share with your physician and pharmacist (before they kill someone):

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

Sorry it just boggles my mind that in this age of the "information highway" that a physician or a pharmacist can't click on a program -- which I am am pretty sure-- is available on their computer.

I hope you feel better soon and please use the above site to enter all of your medications to check for interactions.

Take care,

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
  5. sfd647

sfd647 New Member

Claudia,

I agree with Karen and I am so glad for that website she gave. I am going to put it into my favorites today as well. I rely on my pharmacist more than my doctor for any drug related interaction or reactions. Even though we should be able to expect a doctor to know everything, they don't on somethings. I think that giving this website to both the pharmacist and your doctors would be a good idea. They are trying so hard to keep up on so many discoveries. Many hardly have any personal time with their families.

First of all, what does your doctor know about dopamine levels? First you start with a basic function in the anatomy. When they acknowledge their insight about that area, share with them what you know. THAT is what I do with my doctor who is very pleased to see that I am taking the initiative about what I might be able to help with my medical situation. If there are things he has had the opportunity to read over that I gave him, he is then ready to prescribe it for me if he feels as well that it could be beneficial to me. He is very good about that. This particular doctor is treating the FM, Peripheral Neuropathy, Degenerative Joint Disease and other things. He is not a general practioner or internist. He is in physical medicine/ rehab. He has such profound knowledge on many things. Maybe you could work that out with your doctor. However, I just want to say this to you. Should you doctor resent you interfering and questioning his treatments, then you need to move on. A doctor should eagerly accept anything you have come upon that might ad insight into your situation to help sustain you through that medical need. If he/she doesn't, then you need to be with someone who will. I had to press through on an issue with my GP once and I finally won. Why? Because he saw that the treatment I was suggesting actually worked and he was the first in line to go and see demonstrations close by regarding the treatment. He actually asked me if I thought it would be a good idea. Wow, the one he argued with now asks if I think he should go.(smile) So see? Work WITH your doctor. Help him help you. Remember this, you are PAYING for his services as well as your health care provider if you have one. So the doctor works for YOU. You do not work for HIM. So don't take offense. If he/she is not doing what is proper, then move on to someone who will listen and look into what you have discovered might be of help.

Next, do NOT stop taking the appropriate amount of medication that is given to you as in the case of the Mirapex. You are NOT a doctor. Yes, you can find out about medications and therapies that can help you but according to dosage amount, that is not in your department. What I do there is I go and see how the dosages run. From the smallest amount given in a tablet to the highest dosage. That way a decision can be made to accommodate my need to start out with. They will start you out small and build you up if you have no interactions or reactions. Ok?

Blessings Claudia, I hope this was of some help but I think Karen was the better of helps. I am only filling in between the cracks. (smile)

Sylvia