CAN I TAKE PAXIL AND ELAVIL? NEED ADVICE.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimo, May 26, 2003.

1. kimo

kimo New Member

I HAVE BEEN ON ELAVIL FOR 3 1/2 YRS. 20MG. AND I DECIDED TO TRY PAXIL. I AM NOT DEPRESSED JUST WANT TO SEE IF IT HELPS FOR PAIN. I HAVEN'T BEEN SLEEPING HARDLY AT ALL OFF ELAVIL SO WONDER IF I CAN TAKE BOTH. I WOULD ASK MY DOCOTOR BUT HE IS A GYNO AND WILL PRESCRIBE STUFF BUT DOESN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT FIBRO. THANKS IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER....KIM
  2. wildcatinky

wildcatinky New Member

My Rhuemotoligist prescribed Paxil to help with my pain several years ago, and it helped me. I do take pain medicine, but this seemed to add a little to the pain relief. He now has me on Paxil CR (Sustained released), it has made me feel better, mentally and physically. Hope this helps.

Tim

3. KayL

KayL New Member

There are certain meds like these you aren't supposed to mix. I think you need to check this out.

I take Paxil 20mg and have been on it for several years. My osteo prescribed Elavil 10mg at bedtime to help me sleep. DON'T take the 2 of the together, at the same time. I take my Paxil earlier in the day now and with the low dosages of each one I'm on, this seems to work for me.

However, if your GYN is prescribing this stuff for you without much knowledge of the meds and/or FM, you could be setting yourself up for reactions or interactions with meds. Have you thought about going to another doctor who knows about FM and how to treat it?

Karen
  4. kimo

kimo New Member

I HAVE TAKEN PROZAC AND SEREZONE TOGETHER BEFORE AND DOCTOR AT ST. LOUIS SAID IT IS O.K. SO I WONDERED IF PAXIL AND ELAVIL WOULD BE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!