Can I try for dissability if I own my own business?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mermaid01, Nov 5, 2005.

1. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

If I want to try to get disability would it be a waste of time if I own my own business? Is their anyway to get help that way if you make any money? Thanks for your help. Mermaid01
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

You really should look on their website or call a rep.

BUT the way I understand it, you have to prove to them that you are unable to perform ANY type of work that you have been trained for, for at least ONE year! And, that in all reality, you will NOT be able to ever perform that type of work again. That is what being disabled, and getting a check for it, is all about.

But, as I said, go to their website, or call a representative. You can do that anonymously, I'm sure.

Good luck. PG
  3. Dalphia

Dalphia New Member

I also own businessess and during the past couple of years my health has declined so badly that I felt it necessary to check into what criteria I'd had to meet for SS Disability.

I contacted a SS Disability Attorney and was given this informaiton: If you so much as write one check in your business, you aren't considered disabled. The only way you could ever become eligible for SS Disability is to sell the businessess and be unable/unemployed for six 6 months.

So, I just kept plugging along in a very stressful business with 40 plus employees and now I'm sicker more than ever.

My husband is having to pick up a portion of the Management and I must depend on my Office Manager to keep things in order and running smoothly. I've been so sickly that I haven't worked or even been into the office in over 2 months. Now, I would consider this disable, would 't you???????????

Anyway, this is the knowledge I have in answer to your question............perhaps we just need to sell our 4 business but then there becomes another problem for us. We have a Group Insurance Plan for us and our employees, so if we sold we would have to lose our Group Plan..........my, nothing is easy for us anymore, is it...........

Hope you can find a better solution but I know I'm correct on this one..................Good luck and hope your health improves..........I'm looking forward to my restored health since I've found the FFC in Atlanta..........I have faith in the doctor and protocol which will take several months in the recovery process............this has been my only hope during the past 13 years of dealing with this disease.

God Bless you,
    DD
  4. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Dalphia & Peppergirl52, thank you for your quick response! I bet you two are in the NE, I am in Idaho (snowing a bit) and 3 hours earlier than you two; unless, like me your up too early this morning.

I guess I can forget trying for disability, Mer-maids is my life and the only thing that keeps my mind off of myself. Even though I am in a great deal of pain and on oxycontin (have to work just to pay for that one med, gads) if it were not for my business I would be in real trouble. Dalphia, I am very sorry you have 4 businesses and the pressure that goes with it. I bet the thought of letting your employee's go; loosing their medical insurance and yours too is unthinkable. You must feel very responsible for your group. I wish with all my heart that small business could group together so we could buy good medical insurance! What is the problem with getting on with it…..our elected officials in almost every segment are doing nothing for us; they just fight one another every minute of the time, don't they! They don't seem to be attending to business. I am writing letters to them as often as I can. Oh, lets not go there; we have enough to worry about.

It is very hard for so many people now, I told my husband that we are surfs; working for little lords.

Thanks to you both for taking your time to explain the disability process to me; I don't think I have a chance in the world to get disability. I'm happy for those that do have it.

Well, I did get off the subject a bit; I do appreciate the people in our group. Each of us are going through so much, it is very nice to read others posts, it helps to know that we are all trying to find an answer for ourselves and share any success with all the FM/CFS.

Dalphia, any chance you could consolidate, sell off some of the businesses? Do you have good support and understanding at the office? Did you develop your own business/plural? Should/could I ask what it is you do? I'm not sure what the rules are; can we ask that question of others? It is so interesting to talk to other women who are self starters. I noticed in our group that there are many who are high achievers (not that I am at the top of the heap), that is something to be proud of; don't you agree?

Peppergirl52, I read your bio and was impressed by your musical talent, have you composed any of your own tunes? I hope you can keep this activity up for a long time. I'm sure that there are many people who support you within the church. I have had 3 neck surgeries myself and find that you never are the same, although the alternative was not acceptable. Good luck and thanks again!
    Mermaid01
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

but by that time I had run myself so thin that one day I just couldnt get up and push myself another day and had to abruptly close my doors.

I was so out of it that I figured I would have to live on my savings till they were gone and then go to a shelter. It didnt matter cuz I had no choice. My brain was so useless that I didnt even think about SS.

My doc was the one who told me to file and that he would do everything he could to help me get it. You have to be unemployed for 5 months before receiving any money and it took just about that long for the claim to be ok'd.

I got my first check the first month I was eligible. I cried when they said my claim was ok's cuz it crushed my hopes of getting better. Even the government thought I was hopeless. That lasted 3-4 days and then I became grateful and decided to do everything withing my power to be the best I can be.