Can it get any worse..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fallenstar1962, May 20, 2010.

1. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

Hi all been awhile since I last posted here. I have managed to get through the break up (9 months ago) pretty well. To date he continues to try and harm me emotionally though my family and friends. No matter life goes on.

My second oldest son has now been diagnosed with this DD too. He called crying a couple of weeks ago. He was on the highway headed home and said he could not take the pain any longer and I continued to talk him home. I was able to get him to go into a warm bath.. he was shocked it helped at all.

Anyway as the story goes sharing all with new friends here..sigh. Just wanted to let everyone know yet another family.. 3rd generation mysteriously has the same DD.

It can't get any worse..can it..I have two other boys. Thanks for listening..take care all
    ~soft hugs~
  2. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

So sorry to hear what has happened with your son fallen!! I'm 43 and the only one in my family with this far.

Unfortunately, my son will soon be engaged. His soon-to-be fiancee's MOTHER has this DD.

I fear for the outcome of my grandchildren.
  3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Im so sorry for your son. Im sorry for anyone who has these DDs. Thank goodness you were able to talk him home! Im convinced my 24yo DD has fibro. She cant afford to go to the doctor. She suffers terribly. As far as I know she and I are the only ones to be afflicted with this.
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I think there is good evidence for genetic predisposition in CFS, but on the other hand, genetics are not a life sentence to having CFS. The other necessary component for developing CFS is stressors, particularly long-term stressors. In my hypothesis, it's the combination of the genetics plus the stressors that causes onset of CFS in certain people, in my opinion.

The stressors can be physical ones (such as an injury or way too much physical exercise), chemical ones (such as pesticides, heavy metals, solvents, etc.), biological ones (such as viruses, bacteria, etc.), or psychological/emotional ones (such as negative life events, ongoing unresolved conflicts, worry over finances, health, family matters, etc.) Often, it's a combination of these things occurring at the same time.

We can't change our genetics, but we can defend against the effects of stressors. Of course, the best thing would be to be able to avoid heavy stresssors, but that isn't always possible in life.

The next thing we can do is to make lifestyle choices that at least don't add extra stress to our lives that we don't need to have. And of course, we don't always make the best lifestyle choices, either.

We can also learn ways of coping with the stresses we do have in order to relieve some of the load. A variety of different things can help for different people. They include prayer, meditation, an appropriate amount of exercise (depending on a person's condition), music, exposure to a natural environment, games, etc. A social support network is also very important, but not always easy to maintain. Those with supportive family and friends are fortunate, and friendships need to be cultivated to be maintained.

Then there are the ways of giving the body what it needs to be able to cope with stress. This includes adequate nutrition, sleep and rest.

With regard to nutrition, based on my hypothesis for CFS, I would say that getting enough of the essential nutrients (vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, and fiber) are important. To the degree these can be gotten from the diet, they should be, but adding nutritional supplements can help. Particularly important, in my opinion, are antioxidants and vitamin B12 and folate.

If antibiotics are used for any reason, they should be followed by probiotics to keep the gut healthy.

For what it's worth, that's my advice to people who may have the genetics for CFS, and want to avoid developing it.

Best regards,

5. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

fallen im so sorry to hear about your son i really am.
    Its bad enough we have this DD its so hard trying to cope every day but we have to try to be strong.
    Im here for you when ever you need a friend.
    Take care.
  6. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

fallen im so sorry to hear about your son i really am.
    Its bad enough we have this DD its so hard trying to cope every day but we have to try to be strong.
    Im here for you when ever you need a friend.
    Take care.
  7. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I know mine comes from my mothers side as quite a few of my cousins have it and her double cousin was just diagnoised. I wish your son well. He is young and with stem cell research there is alot of hope for him so show him the positive for the future as now that the know what it is and now that they are working for a cure it just darn well could happen in his life time. Tell him he has stem cell reseach big time on his side look what it is doing for MS.
  8. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

Just a quick stop to thank all of you for the support. I know my grandmother had it as well..but like most..never detected by her doctor. I was with her during the last 3 days of her life..she was unable to talk. She did make very clear how sore her legs were..ugh.

As hard as this is to believe my sister too is now being watched for "fibro"!!

Man..I must have been one rotten person in my past life (joking)

Again many thanks ~soft hugs to you all~